• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baba Yaga d20 conversion?

Shade

Monster Junkie
sckeener said:
looks good. Did you miss the Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares) or change your mind on the 30'?

I missed it. I'll fix it now. Thanks!

sckeener said:
Typing of smells...I'll type @ y'all later as the scent of fresh homemade bread is calling to me for dinner. ;)

Mmmm....homemade bread.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looking at some of the special abilities...

Horror power - creatures <=1HD never attack, obey all commands
30' fear aura save vs spells -3 same as fear spell except subjects do not flee.

Aura of Horror (Su): Baba Yag can radiate a 15-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC X Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level Xth). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by Baba Yaga's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Creatures with 1 HD or less automatically fail their saves.

We could also incorporate this...

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a wraith at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

at will 1/r comprehend languages, detect magic, fear (as wand), read magic, tongues
detects lies and distortions of truth
usually uses geas to get payment

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--comprehend languages, detect magic, discern lies (DC X), read magic. 1/day--geas/quest. Caster level Xth. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Tongues (Su): Baba Yaga can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level Xth). This ability is always active.

can not be surprised, knows just by looking class, race, and approximate level

Can't be surprised usually equates to bonuses to Spot and Listen and sometimes Improved Init as a bonus feat.

Do we want to do anything with the "knows just by looking class, race, and approximate level"?

if she catches with both claws and teeth, she has a chance to kill as a 9th level assassin. Inanimate objects must save vs crushing blow. claws & teeth can destroy wood up to 1" thick.

How's this? I figured she should get the normal rend benefits if the victim saves.

Deadly Rending (Ex): If Baba Yaga hits with both claw attacks and her bite attack, she latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional X points of damage. Additionally, the victim must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or die. This is a death effect. The save DC is Strength(?)-based?

questions answered by Baba Yaga age questioner 1d10 years which are transfered to Baba Yaga.

Should we work this into a curse-like ability, or leave it as flavor text?

complete control of day and night on worlds she visits at will.

Ability or flavor text?

Can eat the spirits of those that die near her, souls eaten restore her to full HP and the victim can not be raised.

How's this?

Consume Spirits (Su): When Baba Yaga slays a humanoid (?) opponent, she can devour its life force, as a full-round action. This prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a consumed victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.

Baba Yaga heals 10 hit points per Hit Die of the creature whose spirit she consumes.

In addition to being a 25th level wizard, she is a 12th level priest worshipping the gods of magic. Rebukes undead. Shapechange as druid of 7th level or 3 times per day and is a 10th level thief.
Her druid powers are not coming from divine but from studying as a magic-user (archivist?)

How much of this should we retain? She should definitely have some spellcasting power. Should we stick with wizard and cleric, or switch to sorcerer and druid? Or even look at the witch spell list in the DMG?

Do we want to give her wild shape as a druid?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Wild shape would work, or even alternate form (animals and humanoids only). I'm pretty sure she could appear as different people if she wanted to...

Demiurge out.

sckeener

First Post
Shade said:
Creatures with 1 HD or less automatically fail their saves.

Depending on the DC, I don’t think that will be needed.

Shade said:
Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a wraith at a distance of 30 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

I think it would be good for flavor, but I don’t see it as needed crunch.

Shade said:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will--comprehend languages, detect magic, discern lies (DC X), read magic. 1/day--geas/quest. Caster level Xth. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Tongues (Su): Baba Yaga can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level Xth). This ability is always active.

Maybe just leave the geas/quest for her spell list.

Shade said:
Do we want to do anything with the "knows just by looking class, race, and approximate level"?
I think we can leave that to the smell knowledge…after all she has probably baked someone in a pie just like the red shirt character.

Shade said:
Deadly Rending (Ex): If Baba Yaga hits with both claw attacks and her bite attack, she latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional X points of damage. Additionally, the victim must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or die. This is a death effect. The save DC is Strength(?)-based?

Shade said:
sckeener said:
questions answered by Baba Yaga age questioner 1d10 years which are transfered to Baba Yaga.
Should we work this into a curse-like ability, or leave it as flavor text?
sckeener said:
complete control of day and night on worlds she visits at will.
Ability or flavor text?

flavor

Shade said:
How much of this should we retain? She should definitely have some spellcasting power. Should we stick with wizard and cleric, or switch to sorcerer and druid? Or even look at the witch spell list in the DMG?

How about wizard 3/ archivist 3 / mystic theurge X?

Do we want to give her wild shape as a druid?
Wild shape would work, or even alternate form (animals and humanoids only). I'm pretty sure she could appear as different people if she wanted to...

I like the alternate form (animals and humanoids). Gives the girl an air of mystery

Conaill

First Post
Heh - I think at some time I'm going to have to come up with a grittier, closer-to-the-fairytales Baba Yaga than the demi-goddess you guys are cooking up here. :D

Nothing wrong with doing a conversion of yet another classic epic monster, but she's not exactly what I had in mind for a famous russian witch who occasionally gets outwitted by little children or Awakened animals...

I figure there's enough space for both the original epic-level version of Baba Yaga from Dragon, and one which might be an interesting encounter for mid-level adventurers.

Shade

Monster Junkie
sckeener said:
Depending on the DC, I don’t think that will be needed.

Well, there's always the "5% rule". ;)

sckeener said:
I think it would be good for flavor, but I don’t see it as needed crunch.

I suppose she's already pretty crunchy!

sckeener said:
Maybe just leave the geas/quest for her spell list.

That'll work.

sckeener said:
I think we can leave that to the smell knowledge…after all she has probably baked someone in a pie just like the red shirt character.

:lol:

sckeener said:
How about wizard 3/ archivist 3 / mystic theurge X?

Let's try to stick to the core classes in case we want to pop this up on the CC. Since she isn't actually taking the classes, mystic theurge isn't really needed. We can simply say that she has the spellcasting ability of a sorcerer X and cleric X, for example.

demiurge1138 said:

sckeener said:
I like the alternate form (animals and humanoids). Gives the girl an air of mystery

Yep, alternate form (animals and humanoids only) seems a good choice.

sckeener

First Post
Shade said:
Let's try to stick to the core classes in case we want to pop this up on the CC. Since she isn't actually taking the classes, mystic theurge isn't really needed. We can simply say that she has the spellcasting ability of a sorcerer X and cleric X, for example.

How about flavor/crunch text for
Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.​

or something like that. I just liked the text from the 1st edition
sckeener said:
Her druid powers are not coming from divine but from studying as a magic-user

Shade

Monster Junkie
sckeener said:
How about flavor/crunch text for
Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.​

or something like that. I just liked the text from the 1st edition

Sure, that works for me. Dragons can cast some divine spells as arcane, so why not her witchiness? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads