• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baba Yaga d20 conversion?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looking at some of the abilities...

fast heal 3/r
regen;
If limb or even head is severed, she can continue fighting and put the limbs back on afterwards

Does regeneration 3 cover this sufficiently? What types of attacks should overcome this regeneration?

SD: +1; non-metal weapon to hit when inside hut;
+1 or better magic weapons to hit

Is DR x/magic sufficient? Should we add nonmetal weapons when within the hut?

immune to poison, fire, and cold
fire resistence similar to ring of fire resistance
resists cold as protection from cold scroll except for herself only.
poisons that would kill only do 3d4 HP of damage if she fails a save

So, do we want to go immunity to cold and fire or resistance?
How about poison? Immunity, racial bonus on saves, or something else?

Permanent mind bar of 20th level mastery making her immune to psionic attacks
unaging
immune to cause wounds, harm, destruction, slay living, and similiar or related spells

Does this cover all the above?: immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, magical aging effects, and necromantic effects

can not be summoned, dispel evil doesn't work, protection from evil won't prevent her from attacking

What, if anything, to do with this?

infra/ultravision to 120'

Is darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision suffiicent, or do we want to use the keen senses ability of true dragons?

Arnwyn

First Post
sckeener said:
I edited my reply above with the differences between the 1st ed and 2nd edition versions.
Wicked! Thanks for that, sckeener. (FWIW, the reason for my OP is that I'm updating the 2e Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga, so I have a bit of bias here, and am more partial to the 2e stats.)

Here's my suggestion
STR, 27
I'd say Str 29, which is closer to the 2e +9 damage modifier...

I like all your suggestions so far, Shade. I think you're covering them sufficiently.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Tinkered with the ability scores based on suggestions. How do these look?

Abilities: Str 29, Dex 24, Con 26, Int 32, Wis 30, Cha 27

Although it looks like a huge Int hit, as this stands, she's still smarter than both Asmodeus and Demogorgon. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
wow, she's a smartie for sure then!

did she have a higher Int that those guys in the previous incarnation(s)?

sckeener

First Post
BOZ said:
wow, she's a smartie for sure then!

did she have a higher Int that those guys in the previous incarnation(s)?
In 1st edition both Demogorgon and Asmodeus only had a 19 to 20 Int. Baba Yaga in 1st edition had a 25 Int and 23 Wis. I don't have MC8 with me to check what they were like under 2nd ed (were they in MC8?)

Shade said:
Tinkered with the ability scores based on suggestions. How do these look?

Abilities: Str 29, Dex 24, Con 26, Int 32, Wis 30, Cha 27

Although it looks like a huge Int hit, as this stands, she's still smarter than both Asmodeus and Demogorgon.

Actually I'd be inclined to give her even more Int.

Shade said:
sckeener said:
fast heal 3/r;regen;If limb or even head is severed, she can continue fighting and put the limbs back on afterwards
Does regeneration 3 cover this sufficiently? What types of attacks should overcome this regeneration?
regeneration 3 should do. Didn't fire/acid damage in 1st edition over come it?

Shade said:
sckeener said:
SD: +1; non-metal weapon to hit when inside hut;+1 or better magic weapons to hit
Is DR x/magic sufficient? Should we add nonmetal weapons when within the hut?

I was thinking maybe DR 5/magic outside the hut and DR 5/magic and non-metal when inside the hut.

Shade said:
sckeener said:
immune to poison, fire, and cold; fire resistence similar to ring of fire resistance; resists cold as protection from cold scroll except for herself only. poisons that would kill only do 3d4 HP of damage if she fails a save
So, do we want to go immunity to cold and fire or resistance? How about poison? Immunity, racial bonus on saves, or something else?

Poison immunity sounds good since poisons have changed so much since the earlier editions.
Resist fire/cold 10?

Shade said:
sckeener said:
Permanent mind bar of 20th level mastery making her immune to psionic attacks; unaging;immune to cause wounds, harm, destruction, slay living, and similiar or related spells
Does this cover all the above?: immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, magical aging effects, and necromantic effects

sounds good. I swear with the regen and this, I almost feel like she is a construct..

Shade said:
sckeener said:
can not be summoned, dispel evil doesn't work, protection from evil won't prevent her from attacking
What, if anything, to do with this?

Making her Outsider-native should take care of the dispel evil. Not sure about the summoned bit, can native outsiders be summoned?

Shade said:
sckeener said:
infra/ultravision to 120'
Is darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision suffiicent, or do we want to use the keen senses ability of true dragons?

Darkvision to 60' should do. Since she has such other odd senses all relating to where she last ate someone, I think we might just need to describe them..

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
sckeener said:
In 1st edition both Demogorgon and Asmodeus only had a 19 to 20 Int. Baba Yaga in 1st edition had a 25 Int and 23 Wis. I don't have MC8 with me to check what they were like under 2nd ed (were they in MC8?)

they were not. the unique fiendish personages were not reintroduced until Planescape (though a few were used as gods in Monster Mythology).

sckeener

First Post
BOZ said:
they were not. the unique fiendish personages were not reintroduced until Planescape (though a few were used as gods in Monster Mythology).

Are there any stats for them in 2nd? I keep running into them being viewed as gods....

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, Demogorgon has "avatar" stats... and Asmodeus, i think was statted in an issue of Dragon.

sckeener

First Post
BOZ said:
well, Demogorgon has "avatar" stats... and Asmodeus, i think was statted in an issue of Dragon.

yeah that is what I saw in Monster Mythology. The avatar for Demogorgon had a 19 Int.

Shade

Monster Junkie
In Deities & Demigods, Bahamut, who is a divine rank 10 deity, "only" has an Int of 35, while Tiamat has an Int of 28. While her intelligence is described as "godlike", I think Baba Yaga should be closer to lesser deities than greater ones.

I don't have any other deity stats handy. What is standard intelligence for a "brainy" deity in the divine rank 0-3 range?

Remove ads