Bacon of Hope

Mengu

First Post
Hot crispy sizzling yummy bacon!

And to repeat the answers yes it does apply to Astral Seal, but I really stopped by here for the bacon.

B(e)acon of Hope is a strangely worded power. I agree that "your healing powers" probably means "powers with the healing keyword". However, how strictly should we read the word "your"? Does it mean "this particular PC's healing powers", or does it mean "clerical healing powers" or "divine healing powers" or something else?

For example...

Melora's Tide -- has the Healing keyword, but grants regeneration. So if a cleric uses Beacon of Hope and then Melora's Tide, does the latter grant regen (2+5)=7?

Lay on Hands -- say you are a paladin multiclassed into cleric, and for some reason you swap out for Beacon of Hope. Now when you use Lay on Hands (it has the Healing keyword), does it grant (target's healing surge value + 5)?

Unicorn's Touch -- swordmage multiclassed into cleric (yeah, I don't know why you'd do this, but work with me). Use Beacon of Hope, then Unicorn's Touch. Will the latter heal (5+5+Con) hp?

Spirit's Shield (Shaman class feature) -- more multiclassing fun. Would BoH make Spirit's Shield grant (Wis+5) hp?

Healing Spirit (Shaman class feature) -- even more fun. Do you grant (healing surge +5) to the target, and (1d6+5) to the adjacent ally?

renau1g

First Post
B(e)acon of Hope is a strangely worded power. I agree that "your healing powers" probably means "powers with the healing keyword". However, how strictly should we read the word "your"? Does it mean "this particular PC's healing powers", or does it mean "clerical healing powers" or "divine healing powers" or something else?

For example...

Melora's Tide -- has the Healing keyword, but grants regeneration. So if a cleric uses Beacon of Hope and then Melora's Tide, does the latter grant regen (2+5)=7?

Lay on Hands -- say you are a paladin multiclassed into cleric, and for some reason you swap out for Beacon of Hope. Now when you use Lay on Hands (it has the Healing keyword), does it grant (target's healing surge value + 5)?

Unicorn's Touch -- swordmage multiclassed into cleric (yeah, I don't know why you'd do this, but work with me). Use Beacon of Hope, then Unicorn's Touch. Will the latter heal (5+5+Con) hp?

Spirit's Shield (Shaman class feature) -- more multiclassing fun. Would BoH make Spirit's Shield grant (Wis+5) hp?

Healing Spirit (Shaman class feature) -- even more fun. Do you grant (healing surge +5) to the target, and (1d6+5) to the adjacent ally?

Oh man was I mislead (and a couple hours late for the party) about the Bacon. I would deem it affecting any of your powers with the healing keyword, not just cleric ones. For a difference see Potent Restorables which specifically only applies to Artificer powers. It's fairly easy to jack up the regeneration powers (actually fairly broken) if you wish.

You guys are killing me. If you ever quit your day jobs, you can always do stand-up comedy. :)

I'll have to point that one out to our (rumor has it) Warlord and/or Cleric who is supposed to be joining our party soon. (we're at lev10 and didn't have a leader class playing).

I'll show him this thread - he'll appreciate the "special of the day", Bacon of Hope. :D

MrMyth

First Post
I don't think it is a tricky as one might think. The wording definitely is more open-ended than many similar effects - namely, letting it apply to all healing, rather than healing rolls, or heals targeting your allies, etc. But I don't see too much difficulty interpreting how it works.

No - Regen isn't Healing. They've clarified this at least once before, I think in reference to this specific power, and that it doesn't get modified by bonuses to healing powers.

Yes, certainly. It is a power, it is yours, and it provides healing.

This one is finally a bit tricky. Does +5 healing mean 5 extra healing total, or per target? Unlike most other bonuses to healing (which might refer to bonuses to healing rolls, or bonus healing to targets of your healing powers), Beacon of Hope says the power itself heals 5 extra damage. Thus, I could see the interpretation that you can only apply that bonus once, though you could choose which of the two targets gets the extra healing.

I'd probably go with a more liberal ruling that each target gets the benefit, but I can see either reading of the power.

Herschel

Adventurer
Hey, quit getting back on topic. We have a good thread going here and you're trying to ruin it. ;)

My friend Ira always had a great line when asked about his table and faith: 'My family thought about keeping a kosher table but we all decided we liked bacon too much.'

Remove ads