Baldur's Gate Countdown Ends... Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Summer 2012

Yora

Legend
While Baldur's Gate is my favorite game, the gameplay is pretty bad and we've come a great way in the past 14 years. You could salvage the plot, the NPCs, and the major places, but to make it a good modern game, you would have to make lots of things very different. There's just no fun anymore in searching an entire map to find a couple of random monsters and an old barrel with 3 gold coins. That was outdated even by the time BG2 was out.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
While Baldur's Gate is my favorite game, the gameplay is pretty bad and we've come a great way in the past 14 years. You could salvage the plot, the NPCs, and the major places, but to make it a good modern game, you would have to make lots of things very different. There's just no fun anymore in searching an entire map to find a couple of random monsters and an old barrel with 3 gold coins. That was outdated even by the time BG2 was out.

Nah, still fun..../grin.

Ravenbow

Explorer

I am currently playing BG (again) and I am excited at the idea of an upgrade.

I also do not mind playing an adventure where things are not handed to me because I am in a hurry to get to 'the boss fight' or max level.

Not an attack, just a counter argument. Some of us miss searching for the missing pieces, just like in a tabletop session.

Yora

Legend
This is true. For people who like the game as it already is. But with a remake 14 years later, you are not producing for the same people who already bought and still own the original game.
Okay, maybe they do, but that would be a terrible idea as a company.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Well they've released umpteen bagillion versions of various antiquated console games on current gen consoles (Sega Genesis repackages, etc). I suppose it makes sense to have a PC version of that marketing strategy to keep old IP's alive on 64-bit operating systems.

There's certainly a lot of memetic love for Baldur's Gate on the interwebs. Even though many of the proponents are probably younger than the franchise and have only run into "omg Baldur's Gate rules" on their travels in various forum-spaces. But it'd be a bit daft for BioWare not to make a few more ducats on a re-release to capitalize on the interest in BG1 and BG2.

As much as I love Xzar and Minsk, I'm just not sure I'd be up for paying for the game again (even at like $9.99) unless the updates and overhauls are truly sweeping in scope and the 'additional content' is robust and adds variation to the game beyond what we've already seen for over a decade.

Zireael

Explorer
I'm super happy.

They say the game will include new NPCs. And "more chapters". And BG 1 & 2 will be better connected in terms of the plot....

/Must make a wishlist!/

avin

First Post
My wet dream would be Planescape: Torment... with better graphics, and unfinished modules on (already played using my Gog's).

For a while I dreamt about a 3.5 Baldur's Gate. My interest on it will depend who's on the team... It may be fun...

As for Baldur's Gate 3, my interest is zero since Project Jefferson was canned.

Almost forgot: please REMOVE Cespenar from the game. Khtxbai.

Last edited:

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm not sure Josh would be willing to start that project for the third time.

Besides, it had nothing to do with the BG Saga, it only used the name due to licensing issues and recognizability (which is now pretty much gone).

Remove ads