• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Band Names

hafrogman

Adventurer
So I was reading this article. . . because I have the kind of time to read three-month old articles from websites I've never seen before. And it brought to mind one of the more amusing misunderstandings I've ever faced.

I was driving along the street one night with my friend, and we were discussing music, and our individual tastes. We tend to have fairly different leanings towards music, and he'll often name bands that I've never heard of. We pull up to a stop light, and I'm looking out the window at something or other, when he suddenly asks,

"What do you think of The New Beatles?"

For a moment I'm flabbergasted. Has someone actually had the unmitigated gall to call their band The New Beatles? What would they call their first album, Bigger Than the Second Coming? After I manage to stammer out that I don't think I'd heard of them, he clarifies that his mind has made a complete subject leap to the new Beetles, such as the Volkswagen parked in front of us. We both have a chuckle over my complete confusion. . . and then decide that the New Beatles and it's album would make a great band.

Other band names I'm holding on to, just in case:

The Neon Twinkies (I just like the name)
Snott Monster!!! (Performing screamo covers of folk songs)
and my friend's creation:
The Kidnappers, and their first album: She's Quite Taken by Me

So now is your turn to share, what band names have been invented in the conversations of your life?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm usually the one who comes up with the new band names...

I was helping my mom shop, and we were in the checkout line. I noticed that the young lady working the register couldn't handle some of the items in the basket- they were either too heavy or otherwise cumbersome for her to reach across the counter and down in the basket to retrieve. Mom, obliviously, was talking with another customer.

As I started to unload those items (reaching past my Mom), I said "Geeze, why don't you help her get to that stuff...its not like she has super monkey arms! Hey...that would be a good name for a band!" Surprisingly, everyone in the vicinity agreed.

So one of my band names (on my list in my PDA) is now Super Monkey Arms (along with Warlords of Atlantis and Ghost Labs of California, to name but a few).

Last edited:

Duskblade

Banned
Banned
I was the lead singer in a band in High School, the name of the band was Earthen Alien.

We made 2 CDs; Take Me To Your Leader & From The Far Side of the Earth. We even performed at a few places and one bar mitzvah. It was fun while it lasted.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Aether Wraiths is another one on my list of would-be band names.

One that- as per the OP's original question- came up as part of a conversation was kind of oddball.

I was driving back to the D/FW Metroplex from Austin on I-35 with a passenger, and at the time, there was a Santana CD playing- one of the 2 he made recently with a wide variety of vocalists. The song was one with Placedo Domingo.

I joked about his name, calling him "Placebo Flamingo"...just as we passed a sign for a couple of small towns that, together, formed a name: "Whitney Corsicana."

I said that it sounded like a soap opera character, then quickly added that Placebo Flamingo and Whitney Corsicana sounded like a 1970s singer-songwriter duo, like The Captain and Tennille.

We were laughing so hard, we missed our exit (at night, in a construction zone) and wound up on the West side of D/FW Metroplex rather than the East side that was our destination, adding over an hour and a half to our travel time...

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Our punk band during highschool was called Half a Meatball. It didn't survive for long, but I always loved the name :D

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Two bands I loved the names of back in the mid-80s were...

Pookah Makes Three
Pyewackett

Need more names like that in this world ;)

Remove ads