D&D 3E/3.5 Barbarian Rage House Rules

Edgar Ironpelt

Adventurer
Does anyone have alternative / house rules for Barbarian Rage that give an "at will" ability to do something rage-like, or at least one that doesn't require the player to do careful resource management? ("Do I expend a precious Rage use now, or do I save it for when I might need it worse, later?") I find that the need to resource-manage Rage uses per day cuts against immersion with a Barbarian character. So do my players - especially those who would enjoy playing a Barbarian, or who would find that class a good fit.

Simon Miles

Creator of the World of Barnaynia FRPG setting
Does anyone have alternative / house rules for Barbarian Rage that give an "at will" ability to do something rage-like, or at least one that doesn't require the player to do careful resource management? ("Do I expend a precious Rage use now, or do I save it for when I might need it worse, later?") I find that the need to resource-manage Rage uses per day cuts against immersion with a Barbarian character. So do my players - especially those who would enjoy playing a Barbarian, or who would find that class a good fit.
It's not 3.5 but fairly easy to adapt; there's a new Character Class called "Wild Domains Barbarian" in the Players' Guide to Dunromin (DriveThru here: SM01 A Players' Guide to Dunromin - Dunromin University Press | DriveThruRPG.com ) that has Barbarian rage rules; there's the basic frenzy based around animal totems held sacred by the various tribes and then there's a special franzy based on the Slaine Warp-Spasm from 2000AD comic.

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
Berserker Strength (PH2 33): Lose rage and all later improvements to that class feature. Gain a replacement that activates every time your hp drops to below 5x your Barbarian level @1, with improvements @11 & @20

Remove ads