• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bards - Why do so few people play them?

Xilo

First Post
Hi all.

I just started playing a hafling bard. And I have to say I'm loving it. she just has so many cool abilities (bardic knowladge rocks!!) and skills.

So I was wondering why it is that so few people play this class. I mean people are always rogues and fighters, but bards? Very rarely hear of them.

Also while we are on the topic of bards any one have any interesting suggestions on different perform types?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think bards might fit into a smaller party better than a large one, simply because the concept of a Jack of All Trades isn't very useful when you've got a Wizard, Fighter, Rogue and Cleric in the party. So party size might have something to do with it. Also I think fewer people run urban/political campaigns that might help a bard better showcase his people and lore skills.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Actually, we've pretty solidly proved that a bard's musical abilities are at their best in a larger party, where they can affect more people with their beneficial powers.

But yes, outside a political or social setting, the bard suffers.

Xilo

First Post
EricNoah said:
Also I think fewer people run urban/political campaigns that might help a bard better showcase his people and lore skills.

Thats true I guess. But its just as easy for your bard to go running round the country side, tell stories and singing/playing songs in small town inns finding out all the local gossip. Thats what my bard has been doing and it works a treat!

I was thinking that it may be because of they just aren't that clear cut.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I agree with Eric.
I have just four people in my group and no matter who DMs there is always a Bard. Seems to help to have someone who can do a bit of everything.
I think if we had one more player to round out the party even more there probably wouldnt be one though.

Olive

Explorer
IMC we've been doing a bit of political urban stuff lately, but the sorceror has been kicking the bard's butt in dealing with npc stuff... cha 19 vs cha 15.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
there's a spell in MagoF which increases bardic music... nice buff.

i just can't spell today :(

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads