Batman: The Brave and the Bold trailer

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well crap.

Now that Batman is super-popular again thanks to Christopher Nolan, some studio somewhere has decided to cash in on that by churning out this kiddie drek.

For those interested in what scant information is available about this "show" so far, here's its Wikipedia page.

Trickstergod

First Post
Hmm.

I guess all those kids aged 5-12 in my country, sporting Ben10 apparel and toys, are wrong, then. They should be watching "kiddie" stuff...

And they most assuredly are. Ben 10's kiddie programming - and from all appearances, so is The Brave and the Bold. Probably why Cartoon Network plans on running both shows in the same block.

But just because The Brave and the Bold is kiddie programming, it's not going to stop me from watching a few episodes to see whether I like it or not. Rather in the same way that I imagine you must enjoy Ben 10. But you and I aren't the target demographic for either show - and rest assured, Ben 10 certainly has a target demographic. Most, if not all, shows do.

As for Paul Dini, the point is - the pinnacle of quality with the first Batman animated series is due to him and he's writing at least one episode for the series. So anyone who's groaning because it's not Batman: the Animated Series? Those people have absolutely zero ground to stand on as far as quality goes so far.

The best they have is "This type of show doesn't look to be to my taste." Which is fine.

Personally, my Bat-verse allows for the grim, dark defender of Gotham that we see in The Dark Knight as well as the two-fisted caped crusader - or the Bat-Santa in my avatar.

Not to mention, The Batman? Smallville? Bleck. Garbage. I have some hope for the new series, some sort of regular superhero television that doesn't stink to high heaven. And if it does? Well, it already has some company.

Klaus

First Post
And they most assuredly are. Ben 10's kiddie programming - and from all appearances, so is The Brave and the Bold. Probably why Cartoon Network plans on running both shows in the same block.

But just because The Brave and the Bold is kiddie programming, it's not going to stop me from watching a few episodes to see whether I like it or not. Rather in the same way that I imagine you must enjoy Ben 10. But you and I aren't the target demographic for either show - and rest assured, Ben 10 certainly has a target demographic. Most, if not all, shows do.

As for Paul Dini, the point is - the pinnacle of quality with the first Batman animated series is due to him and he's writing at least one episode for the series. So anyone who's groaning because it's not Batman: the Animated Series? Those people have absolutely zero ground to stand on as far as quality goes so far.

The best they have is "This type of show doesn't look to be to my taste." Which is fine.

Personally, my Bat-verse allows for the grim, dark defender of Gotham that we see in The Dark Knight as well as the two-fisted caped crusader - or the Bat-Santa in my avatar.

Not to mention, The Batman? Smallville? Bleck. Garbage. I have some hope for the new series, some sort of regular superhero television that doesn't stink to high heaven. And if it does? Well, it already has some company.
Brave & The Bold was spinned out of a single idea: what if the animated opening of the Adam West Batman series was a full-length cartoon. And that's not exactly the most reassuring notion.

I'd actually prefer if they gave Batman some time out and produced a cartoon based on some other property of the DCU. Teen Titans did well during its run, and I'd like to see a cartoon that got together the original Titans (Robin, Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad and Kid Flash), using a style similar to the Teen Titans: Year One miniseries by Amy Wolfram and Karl Kesel:

tty1-character_shot.jpg

Felon

First Post
Not following you here. So Dini's writing one episode. One. What are you taking from that as far as the entire series goes?

As far as your "zero ground" attitude, you seem to be blotting out plenty of visual evdience, not to mention the inclusion of Kite-Man and Zebra-Man as villains. That is indeed evidence that this show looks to be descending into the realm of self-deprecating campyness that the Batman TV show gave us.

Those seem to be words you're putting in other people's mouths. Obviously, any assessment of quality can be called a matter of personal taste.

For instance...
Not to mention, The Batman? Smallville? Bleck. Garbage.

Last edited:

Paul Dini also wrote several episodes of the old D&D cartoon. They were among the better episodes; that doesn't change the fact that the series, as a whole, was pretty silly.

The notion of Batman as campy is something that the character has been trying to recover from since the Adam West show. It's not something that any modern take should be embracing. There are plenty of characters intended to be silly, campy, and or kid-oriented. There's no reason to keep dragging down one that wasn't.

Paul Dini also wrote several episodes of the old D&D cartoon. They were among the better episodes; that doesn't change the fact that the series, as a whole, was pretty silly.

The notion of Batman as campy is something that the character has been trying to recover from since the Adam West show. It's not something that any modern take should be embracing. There are plenty of characters intended to be silly, campy, and or kid-oriented. There's no reason to keep dragging down one that wasn't.
Hence why we need The Adventures of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle.

Trickstergod

First Post
I'd actually prefer if they gave Batman some time out and produced a cartoon based on some other property of the DCU. Teen Titans did well during its run, and I'd like to see a cartoon that got together the original Titans (Robin, Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad and Kid Flash), using a style similar to the Teen Titans: Year One miniseries by Amy Wolfram and Karl Kesel:
[/IMG]

And I would much rather see the show we're getting - instead of just seeing the Titans, we'll see Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and a number of other semi-obscure superheroes that are unlikely to ever headline a show on their own, but when paired with Batman, have an opportunity to make it on TV.

In essence, I would much rather see something like the JLU than Teen Titans.

Obviously the tone of the show will be nothing like the JLU, but it scratches the itch in me that longs to see the aforementioned Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. While the Titans could do something like that, it wouldn't be the focus of the show - whereas it most definitely will be with The Brave and the Bold, as every week Batman will have some other partner alongside him.

Felon said:
Not following you here. So Dini's writing one episode. One. What are you taking from that as far as the entire series goes?

As far as your "zero ground" attitude, you seem to be blotting out plenty of visual evdience, not to mention the inclusion of Kite-Man and Zebra-Man as villains. That is indeed evidence that this show looks to be descending into the realm of self-deprecating campyness that the Batman TV show gave us.

Blotting out? No, I'm doing no such thing.

Visually, the show is cartoony. To all appearances, it's also playing up silly factor.

These have nothing to do with quality.

They set the tone of the show. They don't set the quality, one way or another.

And in addition to Dini writing an episode, the voices of Booster and Skeets from the JLU are reprising their role for the series, and the producer and voice of Plastic Man for the never aired Plastic Man cartoon from a couple years back is also offering his voice to Plastic Man. So the show obviously has no problem drawing upon the talents of those involved with other comic shows.

And, hey, hey. Again - Dini. Just one episode. But that's one writer of known quality to offer a little optimism. It's far more evidence of quality than...well, whatever reason makes you seem to think it will suck.

And that reason seems to be the trailer. Which...nah. That sets the tone. Not the quality.

Those seem to be words you're putting in other people's mouths. Obviously, any assessment of quality can be called a matter of personal taste.

Putting words in other peoples mouths? By no means. I said it's the best they have. There are other responses, of course - but they're mostly just naysaying, excuses, and generally worth little as reactions to the trailer go. We won't know how good the show is until it actually comes out. Just the tone, that's all.

Anyone who wants to say it isn't to their taste? Fine. Anyone who says it isn't quality? Bull. It's a trailer and if you don't like the tone of the show, delightful, but saying it sucks is just a bunch of mindless drivel.

Mouseferatu said:
The notion of Batman as campy is something that the character has been trying to recover from since the Adam West show. It's not something that any modern take should be embracing. There are plenty of characters intended to be silly, campy, and or kid-oriented. There's no reason to keep dragging down one that wasn't

Yes, there is - the most important part being kids like Batman, too. Batman the animated series? Not exactly appropriate for five year old kids. Justice League? It's definitely geared more towards a teen audience.

This, meanwhile, seems clearly intended for kids 5-10. A good thing.

And as for Batman trying to recover from camp? Yeah, I think The Dark Knight has adequately protected Batman from that.

The idea that there isn't room enough for the grim defender of Gotham and a slightly tongue-in-cheek caped crusader is just ludicrous. There's room for plenty of different interpretations.

Besides, from the line-up? Booster Gold. Blue Beetle. Plastic Man. Bat-Mite. Kite-Man. Batman can easily play the straight man and offer up some dry humor, which is entirely in character. The rest of the cast can cover everything else.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Hence why we need The Adventures of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle.

Then what a delight that both of these characters are going to show up in the series. Booster, Skeets, and Jaime Reyes are all slated to show up.

And, hey - if they become recognizable enough due to the show, they might not need Batman headlining for people to watch.

Right now, though? A Booster Gold and Blue Beetle show is a risky proposition. Next to one knows who either of them are. Meanwhile, everyone knows who Batman is.

Trickstergod

First Post
Something else to keep in mind:

Don't think of it as a Batman show, think of it as a Brave and the Bold show. Do any of you actually read that series? Because tonally, it is vastly different from Detective Comics or Batman.

Then what a delight that both of these characters are going to show up in the series. Booster, Skeets, and Jaime Reyes are all slated to show up.

And, hey - if they become recognizable enough due to the show, they might not need Batman headlining for people to watch.

Right now, though? A Booster Gold and Blue Beetle show is a risky proposition. Next to one knows who either of them are. Meanwhile, everyone knows who Batman is.

See, here's the thing. I'm not at all negative towards this show right now. Firmly neutral at this point. I'm not confident in anything after The Batman, but the fact that they're bringing in the not-so-well-known-to-the-public heroes at least has my interest.

But still. Forget Batman. He's overdone and, honestly, none of the other heroes like him because he's creepy and always prepared to take them down. ;)

We need Booster Gold, Blue Beetle(Ted Kord, of course), and Skeets doing what they do best and causing hilarity across the airwaves. Fact.:p

Remove ads