Batman: The Brave and the Bold trailer

Yes, there is - the most important part being kids like Batman, too. Batman the animated series? Not exactly appropriate for five year old kids. Justice League? It's definitely geared more towards a teen audience.

This, meanwhile, seems clearly intended for kids 5-10. A good thing.

I disagree. The fact that kids may like a character or a property is not, in and of itself, a good reason to alter that property for children's consumption.

Kids wound up liking Robocop, for instance, but every attempt to lighten up that character for TV/more general audiences produced utter mediocrity. Some characters simply aren't served by being toned down.

If a character is designed for adults and happens to also appeal to kids, great. But that's never, IMO, a viable reason for changing the character to mesh.

Klaus

First Post
See, here's the thing. I'm not at all negative towards this show right now. Firmly neutral at this point. I'm not confident in anything after The Batman, but the fact that they're bringing in the not-so-well-known-to-the-public heroes at least has my interest.

But still. Forget Batman. He's overdone and, honestly, none of the other heroes like him because he's creepy and always prepared to take them down. ;)

We need Booster Gold, Blue Beetle(Ted Kord, of course), and Skeets doing what they do best and causing hilarity across the airwaves. Fact.:p
Ideas intriguing.

Subscription requested.

Villano

First Post
My jaw hit the floor when I first saw this. Watching it again, I can appreciate it more. Personally, I think comics have gotten waaayyy too dark (I'll die happy if I never see another body count, rape, or political message comic), so maybe we need some fun.

Just as long as it's better than Legion of Super-Heroes and The Batman...

*keeping my fingers crossed for Killer Moth...;)

Trickstergod

First Post
I disagree. The fact that kids may like a character or a property is not, in and of itself, a good reason to alter that property for children's consumption.

Kids wound up liking Robocop, for instance, but every attempt to lighten up that character for TV/more general audiences produced utter mediocrity. Some characters simply aren't served by being toned down.

If a character is designed for adults and happens to also appeal to kids, great. But that's never, IMO, a viable reason for changing the character to mesh.

Robocop never had a history that involved throwing criminals off of buildings, kid sidekicks, villains named Kite-Man who were born with the name Charles Brown, murderous clowns, a dog with a mask, Bat-Mite, murdered parents, and so on and so forth...

...all before most of us were born.

The idea that there can only be one true interpretation of Batman is ridiculous. And guess what? You can have a serious character in a show that doesn't take itself entirely serious.

And even in comics? The Batman in Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League of America, The Brave and the Bold, and Batman Confidential all are more or less alike, yet the tone of the stories is vastly different. The Brave and the Bold comic? At one point he merges with a cyborg, becoming half-Batman, half whatever the heck that Legion villain's name is. The character himself is essentially the same as always, but the tone of the story he's in is drastically different than the more crime-noir that is Detective Comics - which in turn contrasts with Batman, which while still more or less serious, plays up more of the superhero aspect of Batman in it. Oh, and right now also has Bat-Mite popping up.

It's not necessarily the character that changes, it's the tone of the story. The tone of the story can change drastically, yet the character can still stay more or less the same.

But, if it bears saying - there can also be multiple interpretations of a character at once. It doesn't take a genius not to confuse them. The Robin from the Teen Titans cartoon is notably different than the one from the original Batman series. One doesn't take away from the other and there are still similarities between the two.

And again, to the Booster Gold and Blue Beetle happy hour (which should obviously be Booster and Jaime Reyes, of course) - no, not going to happen, not now, anyway. They're not going to draw in nearly as many people as Batman. Heck, not even Superman likely would - Batman is quite possibly the most popular superhero, period. One of the most popular characters, period - the past few popular character polls here on Enworld wound up either with Batman as the first or second most popular character after Indiana Jones.

Besides, the show we're seeing doesn't look like it's comedy - it looks like it's Action! With a capital exclamation mark. It just doesn't take itself too seriously, from all appearances. Because, really. Bunch of guys in tights and funny costumes. It's ok to acknowledge it's all a bit silly every now and again.

And again, to the Booster Gold and Blue Beetle happy hour (which should obviously be Booster and Jaime Reyes, of course) - no, not going to happen, not now, anyway.

While its true it won't happen anytime soon, that doesn't stop it from needing to exist. Now.

Second, and more importantly, you are a terrible person. While the new Blue Beetle is really great and fun, to not pair up Booster Gold and Ted Kord Blue Beetle is just every shade of blasphemous possible. If I could send to a corner to think about what you've said, I would. :p

Heck, not even Superman likely would - Batman is quite possibly the most popular superhero, period.

I seem to remember the 90s Superman show doing just as well as Batman did.

frankthedm

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
none of the other heroes like him because he's creepy and always prepared to take them down.
Hell yeah. that's the version of Batman I like.
My jaw hit the floor when I first saw this. Watching it again, I can appreciate it more. Personally, I think comics have gotten waaayyy too dark (I'll die happy if I never see another body count, rape, or political message comic), so maybe we need some fun.
Have too many comics gotten to dark? Likely, but for Batman, it is fitting. A lighter series could be fine, but making the series look like a throwhback to the dark days of the ACC stirs of bad memories
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
We need Booster Gold, Blue Beetle(Ted Kord, of course), and Skeets doing what they do best and causing hilarity across the airwaves. Fact.
Booster Gold, Green arrow, Blue Beetle and the bot all would be fine for this campy romp.

Klaus

First Post
I don't object to a more action-oriented Batman cartoon. But I reeeeeally don't like the animation style used, mimicking the old Adam West series with a dash of Dial M For Monkey (or Justice Friends).

Hell, Batman was awesome in all of his appearances in Static Shock, and that show was far less dark than any other DCAU show.

Remove ads