• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battletech - Blood of Kerensky

Jemal

Adventurer
All I can say is you've obviously never read any clan books or known an Amish person, but I'll leave it at that b/c I don't want to go on a whole spiel about prejudiced thinking right now. Have fun.

Arkhandus

First Post
Jemal: Yeah, it's been years since I last had a chance to read the rules for Classic BattleTech. Though my 'Mech did take a head shot earlier, in addition to the numerous CT hits. :heh: :uhoh:

Johan will participate in the Grand Melee as well, since he had a string of bad luck and still believes he will make it to a higher rank with persistence!

Dire Lemming

First Post
Jemal said:
All I can say is you've obviously never read any clan books or known an Amish person, but I'll leave it at that b/c I don't want to go on a whole spiel about prejudiced thinking right now. Have fun.

Yes, I haven't known any Amish people, but from what I know about them I'd bet they'd be somewhat offended if you compaired them to the Clans. What I know of the clans is that they're extremely violent, make anyone that isn't born a certain way into a second class citizen, and are so stuck in doing things a certain way that they've no chance for survival in the long run. If anything you should compair them to the Spartans, but without teamwork. :p

Darimaus

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Yes, I haven't known any Amish people, but from what I know about them I'd bet they'd be somewhat offended if you compaired them to the Clans. What I know of the clans is that they're extremely violent, make anyone that isn't born a certain way into a second class citizen, and are so stuck in doing things a certain way that they've no chance for survival in the long run. If anything you should compair them to the Spartans, but without teamwork. :p

I can see why you feel that way, though I will say the reason why you think so is simple. You are only seeing a part of the picture. All you see are rules limitations, and without picking up a book and reading about them, thats all you'll ever see. Though take into account, Clans have a significant advantage in technology. The advantage is so much so, that one clan mech is the combat equivelant of 2 Inner Sphere mechs. Tactics or no tactics, Clanners are more powerful. They have higher piloting and gunnery, whereas the Inner Sphere average is like 5,5. No matter how you slice it, Clanners are still a force to be reckoned with.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I'm in.
Though I will be sending you a new concept design.

EDIT: I think Dire Lemming gets the whole advance technology and combat prowlness of the Clanners. I believe he/she is saying is that he/she is having a hard time finding the motivation to play for a team who is egotisitcal and somewhat racist and is destined to loose not matter what. Have mis-spoken?

-Blood

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Bloodweaver1 said:
I'm in.
Though I will be sending you a new concept design.

EDIT: I think Dire Lemming gets the whole advance technology and combat prowlness of the Clanners. I believe he/she is saying is that he/she is having a hard time finding the motivation to play for a team who is egotisitcal and somewhat racist and is destined to loose not matter what. Have mis-spoken?

-Blood

While the racist, egotistical flaws of the Clan's are impossible to refute, their effects on your small group don't neccessarily have to be present, thats up to you all as a roleplaying factor. I will also concede that their customs are unusual, and to tacticians, out and out frustating. However, the losing side argument is not a basis for not wanting to play them. One of the most amusing features of battletech is its lack of winners. Nobody will come out on top, ever. Your actions on the battlefield will simply determine how well your clan makes out in the coming years of an all out galactic battle royal that will eventually lead to Dark Ages, though I am not sure if our gaming experience will make it THAT far (something like 20 years). But it doesn't really matter to me WHY Lemming wants to drop out. If he doesn't find it fun, I don't want to force him to play it. Thats all. I just don't want anyone else to get the wrong idea about the side they are playing and what effect the PCs will have on the real world.

That being said, it looks like everybody except our sadly missing Fenris2 has checked in, so the trial is set to begin soon. The map is ready, but I won't be able to post it until tommorow night. You all have until Tuesday afternoon to send me new mech designs, (they have been trickling in though, so its looking good). Also, keep up the roleplaying aspect, its making the game more interesting. You guys are all doing great.

Dire Lemming

First Post
It's true that I don't like fighting for a team who is egotisitcal and somewhat racist and is destined to loose not matter what. (I hope you don't mind me ripping off your words, they are very good ones.) But I think I could deal with it. However, that combined with all the new rules I've got to keep track of is just a little too much work for it to really be fun. I mean, I still don't understand the rules I was supposed to know before the change. :confused:

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, it's understandable.

Also, as for explanation: the Clan eugenics program would likely end once they restored the Star League, as its only purpose was to make Clan warriors the equal or two or three Inner Sphere warriors each, since they'd have to face the Spheroids' superior numbers. Just as the Clans maintained their Star League-era technology and improved it over time, whereas the Inner Sphere just kept destroying stuff in their mad bid for power.

Even in the Dark Ages era, the Clan technology is still probably superior. The Clans are still around at that point. They're not quite what they used to be, but still might ultimately succeed at restoring the Star League. Just that some of them have become more self-absorbed and vicious, since their forces have been stymied for decades.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads