• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Being set on fire aint what it used to be.

Hanuman

First Post
I’m planning an encounter for my group that involves a clan of pyromaniac fiendish-goblins. The problem I have is that after reading the rules about catching on fire (Pg 303 DMG) it seems to me that the only drawback is that you and your flammable equipment are taking d6 per round. Now having once been on fire myself I can state quite firmly that it is extremely distracting, so I was thinking of adding the shaken condition to characters on fire. What do people think I should do?

Telperion

First Post
Well, for spell casters it is distracting, since they are taking continual damage, which forces them to do a concentration check if they want to cast any spells. Of course any party with any experience will notice what the fire-flinging goblins are going to fling at them and take appropriate actions to prevent fire from effecting them.

I assume this is a low level party we are talking about?

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
How about a Will save or become shaken? This way a character with a strong will might have the presence of mind to put himself out without freaking out (would have said “without panicking”, but that's a game term as well ;)).

If anyone in the group complains just let them know that as the DM, and as someone who has been set on fire, your ruling takes priority over the books. Hehe.
That's what happens when you're covered in hair, wookiee.

Last edited:

Nasma

First Post
Hanuman said:
Now having once been on fire myself I can state quite firmly that it is extremely distracting

IMHO, i think you should probably leave the rules as they are. It's pretty distracting being hacked at with an axe as well, but characters don't become shaken from being attacked.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hanuman said:
... so I was thinking of adding the shaken condition to characters on fire.

Nauseated would be nastier.

Only a Move action each round. Not only is that not enough to take the Extinguish Flames full round action... it's not enough to take the Start Full Round Action standard action either :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Liquidsabre said:
Swarm of tiny fire elementals muhahaha!

Bizarrely, while extinguishing flames is a full round action, a creature set aflame by a Fire Elemental's Burn ability can put itself out with a move action.

I have no idea why.

-Hyp.

Remove ads