• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Belt of... argh!

Scion

First Post
IcyCool said:
Which, of course, doesn't follow the pricing guidelines. Buying a +6 stat boosting item for each stat comes out to 216,000gp. Cramming multiple abilities into a single item makes the item more expensive, not less. One of my players thought that this might be because it is more easily negated (via sundering) in the miniatures game than it is in 3.5.

Most characters dont use more than about 3 stats anyway, so the others are mostly 'wasted space'. I think that is a good portion of where the discount comes from.

Some characters use more, some less.. but those that use more have problems with having to settle for lower stats to begin with and so miss out a little in other ways..

The overall balance of the item seems fine though. 200k for +6 enhancement to all stats is still a pretty rough price, especially if you arent going to get much benefit out of half of them.

IcyCool

First Post
Scion said:
The overall balance of the item seems fine though. 200k for +6 enhancement to all stats is still a pretty rough price, especially if you arent going to get much benefit out of half of them.

I suspect that the price was made as such because they didn't want it to be classed as an Epic Item (items with a price over 200,000 are classed as Epic).

Still, I don't think the item should be discounted. An all stat boosting item is useful to all characters, but it is not equally useful.

Scion

First Post
IcyCool said:
I suspect that the price was made as such because they didn't want it to be classed as an Epic Item (items with a price over 200,000 are classed as Epic).

The staff of power disagrees ;)

IcyCool said:
Still, I don't think the item should be discounted. An all stat boosting item is useful to all characters, but it is not equally useful.

Agreed, just the same way a Fighter doesn't get a price break on a +6 Charisma item, because it's generally less useful to him than it is to the Sorceror.

Scion

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Agreed, just the same way a Fighter doesn't get a price break on a +6 Charisma item, because it's generally less useful to him than it is to the Sorceror.

But, he is also not forced to get it. The same choice is not present with the + to all belt.

So yes, a discount is definately in order, for this reason plus others. Saying it should be full cost because 'someone' could get the benefit out of part of the item just doesnt make sense when you are forced to pick it up with the parts that are useful.

At 200k it is a bit much for most characters to get, even with the extra 'benefits'.

frankthedm

First Post
In 3e pricing is based on the most optimum use. From magic items to ECL, thats the way stuff gets priced.

Paladins and Dragons would like this belt. A lot.

IanB

First Post
The RPG stuff in the MH doesn't really have much to do with the skirmish game, so the pricing I don't think has anything to do with that.

I think it is just in error, and badly so.

Remember, when you're thinking about how this item was priced, you have to think about the savings in item slots alone that it gives you as a huge part of the problem.

Glyfair

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Which, of course, doesn't follow the pricing guidelines. Buying a +6 stat boosting item for each stat comes out to 216,000gp. Cramming multiple abilities into a single item makes the item more expensive, not less. One of my players thought that this might be because it is more easily negated (via sundering) in the miniatures game than it is in 3.5.

I think 16,000 gp out of a 200,000 gp level magic item isn't that big a deal. I suspect the "discount" (as mentioned) is because few characters get the full worth of a bonus to all abilities.

Glyfair said:
I think 16,000 gp out of a 200,000 gp level magic item isn't that big a deal.

But it isn't 16 off of 200; it's ~100,000 out of an approximately 300,000gp item (remember the x1.5 cost you incur to put second and third [etc.] abilities on an item). And that's assuming that none of the abilities are chakra-inappropriate (the belt slot has affinity for "physical improvement," and therefore would cover Int, Wis, and Cha only when stretching things).

Remove ads