• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best 5e YouTubers

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I might have to admit that I have a problem. I need my evening fix of DnD. I have one game per month, and while it is a full day of gaming, much of my enjoyment of the game is through lonely fun (don't even go there, instead, go HERE where DM David explains it better than I can), which consists of reading material I may never have a chance to run/play, watching live-play recordings, and watching You Tubers focused on DnD. I'm looking for more You Tube channels to subscribe to scratch that itch.

Here are some I watch regularly or have watched. Am I missing any great sources?

Web DM, Jonathan Pruitt and Jim Davis discuss all things Dungeons and Dragons. This is my favorite You Tube series for discussions about DnD.

DM Scotty. My favorite DnD craft channel. I don't find most crafting videos that interesting to watch, but i enjoy almost all of DM Scotty's videos and I've used many of his tips to create terrain and game aids. I also support him on Patreon.

Drunken & Dragon, by "Hankerin" (not sure of real name). Discusses DnD terrain and how to run games. I don't watch most of the videos. His style just doesn't work for me and I'm less interested in the more involved terrain he builds. But now and again, he'll post a video that is just brilliant. See his videos on pacing and campaign notebooks for example.

Acquisitions Incorporated.
The only live-play DnD session that I get excited about and make an effort to watch, including the live in-cinema event they had. I also like that you can watch them on Amazon Prime, though there is not much of a difference watching them on YouTube or Amazone Prime on my Fire TV. The video quality should be better on Prime, but I can't tell. Their Christmas episode, I think, is only on Amazon Prime, but I could be wrong.

Dice, Camera, Action. I watched every episode of their Curse of Straud campaign, but grew bored of it and stopped after the first episode of their Storm King's Thunder.

Zombie Orpheus Entertainment. Not sure if this belongs on the list, since they do not post weekly content. But their series The Gamers and Journey Quest are must-watch entertainment for TTRPG fans.

So, who else should I subscribe to on YouTube?

S'mon

Legend
I like Lindybeige and Scholagladiatoria for weapons, armour, history etc. It turns out that D&D weapon stats tend to be the opposite of reality - bows take STR, swords are mostly DEX. :D

Yardiff

Adventurer
Critical Role on Geek and Sundry is pretty good and can be seen on youtube as well, there are over 80 three-plus hour episodes.

Aldarc

Legend
Matthew Colville. He provides a lot of advice for GMs, including using old adventures and edition materials for 5e or creating NPCs, plot lines, and basics of the game. He also runs campaign diaries from the perspective of his GM plans, preparations, and predictions, and then how none of that survives first contact with the players.

Itmejp - Streams on twitch high quality games and then uploads them on Youtube. RollPlay: Court of Swords is your standard D&D 5e game(currently running game). He has lots of other games playing as well, using different systems and non standard plots(future, super heros...etc)

There is tons of older content that is no longer playing that you can watch on his channel as well. West Marches was pretty good...and there are tons of others.

ITMEJP YOUTUBE LINK

Last edited:

Geek & Sundry has a short list of videos for Matt Mercer's DM Tips. It's not a regular series, but there's a fair bit there. And of course it has all of the Critical Role back catalog of streams that originally aired on Geek & Sundry's Twitch.tv stream. That's usually where I watch them because the scheduled stream day is usually Thursday... and that's the day I play D&D! Critical Role is the only D&D stream I watch, as I don't care for Acquisitions Incorporated.

How to be a Good Game Master is fairly good as well. It's generic rather than being D&D focused, but I like a lot of what he has to say.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'll also throw out Matt Colville's Running the Game series and Critical Role (though I use Geek and Sundries main site to watch, now that they've improved the video player, as then I can also see all the amazing fan art)

I've also been listening to Nerdarchy a lot, they do a lot of various discussions and I find some of them interesting or useful.

Can't think of anyone else I really follow that does D&D (I've also seen Aq Inc, and I like it but sometimes it just annoys me instead of entertains me)

Remove ads