D&D 5E Best Blaster Cantrip

Rub

First Post
So if a Bard or anyone other than a Warlock (as Invocations change the discussion) taking the Magic Initiate Feat could choose 1 ranged attack cantrip from any class, which one would would be "best"?

Granted "best" can be interpreted in several ways depending upon specific character goals, but the point is I would like to take damage as the primary consideration, but also factor in any other effects. My initial thought was Eldritch Blast because of the d10 damage and the fact that you roll each beam separately. While the ability to target different creatures with each beam is nice, I don't think it comes into play that often. Also, while separate rolls for each beam helps you hit more consistently on a per round basis, it also ensures you miss more often. I see it as a wash unless you are fighting a bunch of very low HP opponents.

So my thinking now is Chill Touch as while the denying of healing probably doesn't come into play much, it could be vitally important in certain encounters. Also, there doesn't seem to be many (any?) other spells that can do that. And while more creatures have resistance to necrotic damage than EB's force damage, it's still less than fire, cold & poison offered by the other blasting cantrips. Thoughts?

Vulf

First Post
Depends what your spellcasting stat is. You need charisma for the attack roll of Eldritch blast.

If you don't have any +damage on specific cantrip abilities or Hex, The answer is probably Create Bonfire, it's on every full caster list besides Bard and Cleric.

If you had 6 levels of Tempest Cleric, you could make your DM cry using Lightning Lure and Create Bonfire.

Throw in some Twinned Spell Metamagic and maybe a Wall of Fire instead of Bonfire at later levels for a meaner version.

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Its hard to argue against Eldritch Blast, even without Hex or Agonizing Blast. For me the big seller is the Force damage that I struggle to think of anything that has resistance/immunity to. Targeting multiple enemies is just icing on the cake.

Chill Touch is solid, but its very limited in its uses since so few enemies Regenerate or will Heal themselves. So it really depends on what sort of enemies your DM likes to use and if they use Healing tactics regularly. If not, then the only ranged cantrip I can see being useful is Ray of Frost, and that's solely to keep yourself out of melee range. But I still don't think it holds a candle to Eldritch Blast.

Vymair

First Post
For pure damage, I think it's Eldritch Blast for the force damage type. For effects, the other two to consider are Chill Touch which you mentioned and Ray of Frost for the movement reduction.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Getting away from DPR, Vicious Mockery only does d4, so it's average damage is 3 points per die lower than EB, but it's psychic which is also rarely resisted and it grants disadvantage on the next attack, which is a pretty good debuff for a cantrip. And really, if I'm throwing cantrips I'm not pretending to keep up in DPR anyway (with the exception you already noted of warlocks with invocation and hex).

Sliding back to damage and seeing if it still wants to date, while EB is probably the top general performer the equation changes a bit if you can boost a damage type. For example with the Aasimar in Volo's once per day for a minute you can add +level to radiant or necrotic (depending on subrace) damage once per round. That makes Chill Touch and Sacred Flame really nice. Dragon Sorcerer at 6th can boost a damage type depending on dragon color which can also give you a different winner. UA has the Undying Light Warlock that adds +Chr to fire and radiant damage for those cantrips, so you could use firebolt for d10s or sacred flame for d8s and ignore cover radiant without spending an invocation. Fire is pretty easily resisted, but radiant isn't and has a bunch of creatures vulnerable to it. Plus Sacred Flame ignore cover.

If you have 2 or more adjacent opponents, Sword Burst from SCAG beats EB without invocation. It's d6s to all adjacent, also force damage.

All of this is assuming pure cantrip damage. If you are a reasonable with a weapon and don't mind engaging, the SCAG cantrips Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade can deliver more damage since they also have weapon damage in there. Nice for use with a melee but single attack character like some rogue, clerics, or the UA Mystic (Immortal).

Oh, as a side point if the cantrip you are looking at is on the Wizard list, you can also get it by being a High Elf without spending a feat. (Or half elf with the SCAG option.)

Vulf

First Post
If your dex is as high as your casting stat, take Crossbow Expert instead.

Everyone knows crossbows are the best attack cantrip. Especially on Valor Bards.

Vulf

First Post
If your dex is as high as your casting stat, and you are a college of Valor Bard or a Paladin, take Crossbow Expert instead of magic initiate.

Everyone knows crossbows are the best attack cantrip. Especially on Valor Bards.

Crossbow Expert also removes the disadvantage from using ranged cantrips in melee.

Rub

First Post
Thanks for all the comments. To keep on point with anyone who commented or wants to make a comment, please note I was eliminating Warlocks and non-ranged attacks from the comparison. Even Poison Spray I would find too limiting in range.

While I think Vicious Mockery has the best buff, the damage is a little disappointing. Also, truth be told, this was more of a question for a Bard using Magical Secrets than someone taking the Magic Initiate Feat. That said, if someone took the Feat and wanted 2 ranged Cantrips, I'd say that should be #2. Though if you didn't have access to Cantrips, I'd take Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade and 1 ranged.

And that ranged one could be Ray of Frost. I think it has more utility on the buff aspect over Chill Touch, but again, what other spells can prevent healing? In either case, I think the secondary effects of either spell weigh more than the extra damage of Eldritch Blast. But again it's situational. But having taken Eldritch Blast through Magical Secrets, I feel I have buyer's remorse. ;)

Grue AC

First Post
Have you looked at Frostbite? It's Vicious Mockery for someone wanting more damage than utility.

Produce Flame is another option if you don't have darkvision.

Remove ads