D&D 5E Best character for this party

Paul Smart

Explorer
Good day everyone

Out of the options listed what would be the best character to play in this party:

The party:

Elf (Eladrin) paladin - heavy armour master feat
Half-elf rogue - mage slayer feat

Everyone has god stats as we all rolled well. We are starting at level 1. Milestone levelling. Everyone gets a feat at level 1.
Playing Descent into Avernus so we will be fighting lots of demons and devils underground.

My stats - 18,17,15,15,13,12.

I was originally thinking of a more support type character but I am now wondering if I should be more on the offence.

Characters I am considering:

Gnome wizard - specializing in divining.
Aasimar Celestial Warlock - Eldritch Blast re flavoured to radiant damage - Radiant Damage blaster (or Yuan-ti Pureblood if allowed)
Ghostwize Halfling Life Cleric - all healing + support

Feat: Magic Initiate Druid for Druidcraft, Guidance and Goodberry

Any advice happily accepted. Thanks.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You have a tank (who can heal a little) and a sneaker / skills guy.
You need a ranged attack ability, spells or bows. The Warlock looks like the better choice right now. Any other players?

ccs

41st lv DM
Why don't you ask the other two players & maybe the DM?

That said, wich of those do YOU find the most compelling? Because barring input from the other players/DM, that's the one you should be playing.

I personally don't think a super support life cleric is necessary with a paladin around. There is too much overlap in a three person party. A light or arcana cleric could be a good compliment, but you're not interested in that.

So that brings it down to the gnome wizard or aasimar celestial warlock blaster. I personally prefer wizards because their wide range of spells gives them more flexibility. But either could be a good fit.

Last edited:

Paul Smart

Explorer
I have played a lot of clerics in the past so, that is the class I am least interested in playing. I have talked to everyone involved and they are cool with whatever I decide. I am drawn to the warlock, I think they are super interesting but I have never played one. I know how to play a wizard, have done so for years.

Last edited:

If you are drawn to trying the celestial warlock I would play that. It would be a fine compliment to the rest of the party and the extra healing will be helpful. Pact of the Tome expands your spell versatility while Pact of the Chain gives you a powerful familiar which can almost act as a mini-party member. One thing which makes me lean towards Pact of the Chain is the gift of the ever-living ones invocation in Xanathar's Guide. Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you. Useful for a celestial warlock.

Be sure you take the agonizing blast invocation.

Generally warlocks aren't great with the utility, but with pact of the tome and the book of ancient secrets invocation you can learn every ritual spell in the game (if you can find them), which should cover versatility pretty well, while also being the quintessential blaster.

And a celestial warlock is the easy, non-healing word way to get bonus action healing, which is what you want in a small group where the other healer is tied down as the primary frontline fighter. In 5e it's less important to be an awesome healer than a prompt and reliable one so this cleric business is pretty unnecessary.

Of course the Celestial Tomelock player I play with is not satisfied with this level of versatility and also went for a level of wizard and is working towards 3 levels of divine soul sorcerer, which now that I think about it is the sign of some sort of magic versatility addict.

Esker

Hero
I would definitely go with a full caster of some kind, but with a small party, survivability is more important since you don't have as much frontline protection. If looking to stay single-classed, cleric is a natural choice... Not sure if you are still considering cleric -- it's listed in the OP but then you said you weren't interested in that. Similarly wizard (though I'd go with a more durable subclass like bladesinger or abjurer).

Warlock could definitely be a good option, though again, other than Hexblade they are squishy.

If you are willing to entertain other options and/or multiclassing, what about Hexblade 2 / Divine Soul Sorcerer X? Gets you good durability, good ranged damage that isn't fire, healing and buffs, and a different feel from what you've played before. Plus, there's an RP angle befitting the module of someone struggling between a divine nature and a pull toward darkness...

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Aasimar Celestial Warlock's is what I'd go for. Based on my experience, they are loads of fun to play, and in terms of party fit/background, can see some potential synergies there with a paladin and rouge. Can take Pact of the Blade if you want to be able to hit the front lines when needed.

After 4th or 5th (5th if PotB so you can get thirsting blade extra attack), can multiclass into Divine Soul Sorcerer. Will add more healing and utility options.

Remove ads