Best Fantasy City Supplement For Sandbox Play

Reynard

Legend
What City supplement is the best for an open Sandbox fantasy game? I will probably be running the thing in 5E, but it doesn't have to be designed for 5E so long as I can get ahold of a PDF (preferably with a VTT usable map). Extra points if it comes with plenty of generators for random stuff, from street gangs to shops to brothels.

Thanks.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
3E DMG II. The entire book is about running a Saltmarsh sandbox. Would likely be easy to convert to 5E on the fly.

R_J_K75

Legend
Anything Waterdeep is good, except for Dragon Heist from what Ive heard. Starting with Waterddep and the North for (1E) and City of Splendors (2E & 3E), Volos Guide to Waterdeep (2E). City Systems and Cities of Mystery (2E) have some good tables for randomly generating street scenes. As @payn said the 3E DMGII is good too, as is Cityscape (3E). Reading through through all the Waterdeep material might take a while but it's worth it. I read it quite extensively and I've been able improvise city games with little to no prep. Just a few things that come to mind that I've used over the years. Is Waterdeep the best city setting, probably not but there is so much to work with that you can modify or disregard as you choose.

R_J_K75

Legend
Ptolus would probably have to be a consideration.
I agree and almost mentioned it but getting your hands on a copy might be pretty expensive.

Two others from Kenzer & Co. Kalamars line are Geanevue and Salt & Sea Dog (Pirate City) both for (3E)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Anything Waterdeep is good, except for Dragon Heist from what Ive heard. Starting with Waterddep and the North for (1E) and City of Splendors (2E & 3E), Volos Guide to Waterdeep (2E). City Systems and Cities of Mystery (2E) have some good tables for randomly generating street scenes. As @payn said the 3E DMGII is good too, as is Cityscape (3E). Reading through through all the Waterdeep material might take a while but it's worth it. I read it quite extensively and I've been able improvise city games with little to no prep. Just a few things that come to mind that I've used over the years. Is Waterdeep the best city setting, probably not but there is so much to work with that you can modify or disregard as you choose.
Dragon Heist is weird as an Adventure, but as an urban setting book is pretty great actually.

There's also the Baldur's Gate Gazateer from Descent into Avernus, currently free on D&D Beyond.

R_J_K75

Legend
Dragon Heist is weird as an Adventure, but as an urban setting book is pretty great actually.

There's also the Baldur's Gate Gazateer from Descent into Avernus, currently free on D&D Beyond.
I read bits and pieces of Dragon Heist, never ran it, but overall was more or less ambivalent to it. The only adventure I can remember running in Waterdeep that I either didn't write or ran completely on improv was the 5E adventure "Rats of Waterdeep" off DMs Guild. I put together a new group to play 5E in 2015 so I wanted something quick and dirty to get some newer players up to speed. It was OK Only other one was "Stardock" which was more an Undermountain adventure for 2E. Thats it that I can remember. But between the city, Undermountain and Skullport there is so much in that small area to play a campaign there for many years.

Never once played or set a game in Baldurs Gate, I don't even think I've read much on it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Seconding Thieve's World by Chaosium. Also The City League (Pelinore) from Imagine Magazine, TSR UK's official serialized AD&D setting. Or Irilian from White Dwarf Magazine (a serialized AD&D setting). For newer products, there's Ravensrook, which is a deeply cool system-neutral city setting.

Remove ads