Best Fantasy City Supplement For Sandbox Play

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I will also second Green Ronin's Freeport setting. There are so many conversions for so many different systems out there: e.g., 3e, AGE, Pathfinder, Fate, Shadow of the Demon Lord, etc. so you can use the material for a lot of common games out there, though I don't know if there is one for 5e.
Green Ronin went hard for Pathfinder during 4E and then their own AGE system. If there ever is another edition of Freeport -- and that section of their website is very quiet, so I wouldn't count on it -- I'd expect it to be either AGE or systemless. (It also would fit like a glove with Pirate Borg. They'd just need to write up serpent people and they're done.)

Aldarc

Legend
Green Ronin went hard for Pathfinder during 4E and then their own AGE system. If there ever is another edition of Freeport -- and that section of their website is very quiet, so I wouldn't count on it -- I'd expect it to be either AGE or systemless. (It also would fit like a glove with Pirate Borg. They'd just need to write up serpent people and they're done.)
They expanded their Freeport setting in Fantasy AGE 2e with Breakwater Bay, which is set in the same universe.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They expanded their Freeport setting in Fantasy AGE 2e with Breakwater Bay, which is set in the same universe.
Oh, nice. I didn't know that. I'll have to take a peek. I have used a lot of their lightly sketched world beyond Freeport to flesh out my Ptolus campaign in the past, putting a whole second city on the southern continent, for instance.

Greg K

Legend
I always liked the following which were for building cities
  • Cities (3rd Edition?) by Chaosium which came out in the 80's and is out of print (wish they would put out a pdf version). I think it was licensed from Midkemia Press.
  • City Builder by Skirmisher Press. It came out during 3e (I don't have the collected version only some of the individual pdfs on specific sections). I can't recall if the individual sections were d&d specific, but the current collected version is supposed to be system agnostic.
    • Characteristics of Communities and Cities
    • Craftsman Places
    • Entertainment Places
    • Professional Places
    • Tradesman Places
    • Mercantile Places
    • Service Places
    • Scholarly Places
    • Religious Places
    • Governmental Places
    • Underworld Places
    • Descriptions of 85 places
    • adventure hooks tied to places
  • Flying Buffalo has their Citybook series (seven in total) with various establishments, organizations, npc, etc. for gms to place in their settings.
    • Citybook I: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    • Citybook II: Port O'Call
    • Citybook III: Deadly Nightside
    • Citybook IV: On the Road
    • Citybook V: Sideshow
    • Citybook VI: Uptown
    • Citybook VII: King's River Bridge

Last edited:

Remove ads