Best Fantasy City Supplement For Sandbox Play

I really enjoyed the Citybooks back in the day. I wonder if they hold up now.
The Citybooks are a great series. Definitely ahead of its time. In 1982, Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker, while not the first city sourcebook, had a level of detail and verisimilitude that was all the more notable considering how most adventures then were still dungeon-centric then.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The Citybooks are a great series. Definitely ahead of its time. In 1982, Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker, while not the first city sourcebook, had a level of detail and verisimilitude that was all the more notable considering how most adventures then were still dungeon-centric then.
Trying to remember IF the first were done by Raymond Feist, that ended up being used in his novels.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Trying to remember IF the first were done by Raymond Feist, that ended up being used in his novels.
Feist was part of Midkemia Press which put out both Cities and Carse (the lattter was a full city). Cities was licensed by Chaosium, but I am not sure about Carse. I have heard Cities and Carse still available through Midkemia Press.
Edit: I just visited the site and, apparently, Apparently, Feist did not work on Cities or was not a main writer as his name his not on the cover (I am not sure about Carse). He worked on a couple of other products such as "Jonril: Gateway to the Sunken Lands" which is a complete city.

Last edited:

Remove ads