Best Forgotten Realms adventures.

TavernBrawler

First Post
BlackMoria said:
Ruins of Adventure

Adventure set in Phlan so if you are using Phlan as a base and you are using 1e / 2e, this is a must have as it has the most information on Phlan.

I plan on using it for source information, but the adventures are based off the Gold Box game and it shows. I was mostly curious if there were any I might have missed.

ashockney

First Post
I had really excellent adventures crafted from the ideas and game material found in sourcebooks like the grey box, The Savage North, Old Empires, City System, and The Unapproachable East.

I definitely recall taking some parts from curse of the Azure Bonds module. I also have fond memories of playing through a version of Under Illefarn. I don't recall much from the Daggerdale trilogy, and the Avatar trilogy was...interesting, but I wouldn't want to do it again. For those that don't recall, that was the story that ushered the transition from 1st to 2nd ed. Yikes.

It's interesting that nobody's mentioned the mega-module CoTQ. I know that there have been a lot of people played through it.

Dungeon magazine has had their share of FR modules printed. I recall playing one, perhaps an SKR, that was a low level adventure set in the Dalelands and was a two or three part adventure that ended with a Count of some sort.

Ed did a couple of modules for the FR which a pilfered for my campaigns. The Halls of the High King and The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. Those were both pretty good.

I've just recently picked up the new Shadowdale hardcover module and have really enkoyed reading it so far. I would happily run it for a module/campaign.

Greg V

First Post
I enjoyed "The Return of Randel Morn," a good Daggerdale adventure rather than the weakers Sword of the Dales trilogy mentioned above.

"Steelheart" in Dungeon magazine was also great taking place in Vaasa and pitting the Zhentarim and the Cult of the Dragon against each other.

I'm also partial to "The Twilight Tomb" though it is 3.5.

The new hardback trilogy is very good as well. Shadowdale rocks.

Tarek

Explorer
Under Ilefarn; like Keep on the Borderlands, it was as much a campaign setting as anything else, with a keep, an "adventuring guild" of sorts, etc.

There were also a couple of very short adventures that showed up in either Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine, I forget which.

Apart from those, there haven't been any Forgotten Realms modules that impressed me.

Curse of the Azure Bonds was too much of a railroad; "Hey, let's rewrite the Curse of the Azure Bonds novel as a CRPG adventure, then translate it into a module, only making a few changes so it's not an exact ripoff of the books!" Ruins of Adventure was basically the original Pool of Radiance SSI CRPG translated into pen and paper.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Tarek said:
Curse of the Azure Bonds was too much of a railroad; "Hey, let's rewrite the Curse of the Azure Bonds novel as a CRPG adventure, then translate it into a module, only making a few changes so it's not an exact ripoff of the books!" Ruins of Adventure was basically the original Pool of Radiance SSI CRPG translated into pen and paper.

I agree with you about Ruins of Adventure but Curse of the Azure Bonds did not follow the same plot as the novel and I enjoyed running it. I also like Ruins of Undermountain but my favourite FR modules were the Horde trilogy which contained some great roleplaying encounters and featured some exotic Eastern locations.

Cheers

Richard

Remove ads