Best Forgotten Realms books (any edition)

johnnype

First Post
I agree with most of the books listed above but in the interest of thinking a bit outside the box allow me to recommend the following supplements:

Power of Faerun - this book was miscategorized IMO as a supplement for high level FR play. I think it served more as the glue that kept all the different elements of the setting together. Some people hated it in large part because it was one of the books that did not spend pages and pages describing a region in detail (like The Shining South, Silver Marches or Serpent Kingdoms did). That was unfair IMO. The book is full of interesting NPC's, organizations and adventure seeds.

City of the Spider Queen
- I think I was the only person who liked this adventure. You get to play drow if you like although you don't need to. The adventure is rather epic in scope and involves drow who worship an undead godess not Lolth. Great if you want to explore the Underdark.

Cormyr, Shadowdale, Anauroch - An interesting and, again, epic Campaign that brings Shades to the forefront. If you are a fan of anything having to do with the plane of shadow this is a good place to start.

jdsivyer

First Post
I don't know about you, but the 3e FR Campaign Setting book was absolutely awesome! I could run endless campaigns just with that book alone :)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Well met!

Some of my faves...

1. 3e FRCS. The model by which all 3e campaign books should have followed.

2. Forgotten Realms Adventures. One of my big intros into the Realms.

3. Grey/Gold boxed set. I started with the original grey box, but got the revised gold box. Great product.

4. Gods books (Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities for 2e, Faiths & Pantheons for 3e). Best info on the gods of Faerun out there. I just loved the info on specialty priests in the 2e books.

5. Heroes and Villains Lorebooks. I have the original one that told of the early novel characters that I fell in love with, then the revised versions later on in 2e. Great guide to characters.

6. 2e Harpers book. Tons of info.

7. Drow of the Underdark/Menzoberranzan. The original book (and even its 3e successor) and Menzoberranzan will be the foundation for the drow for me for time immemorial.

8. Al-Qadim book. I know, technically a different setting, it's still part of the FR world. Fantastic source for Arabian Adventures.

9. Magic of Faerun. One of my favorite 3e FR books. Has the gnome artificer prestige class. Great tinker gnome concept.

10. Under Illefarn. One of the best modules for a first-time DM. Complete with info on the town of Daggerford and its residents for DMs to create a home town for heroes. A few glitches in the last adventure, though.

11. Ruins of Myth Drannor. Just a fun boxed set.

12. Grand History of the Realms. Magnificent.

All I can think of for now.

Last edited:

Betote

First Post
4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Because it takes 20+ years of uninspired material, kills it, and takes its stuff :D

Rechan

Adventurer
Power of Faerun - this book was miscategorized IMO as a supplement for high level FR play. I think it served more as the glue that kept all the different elements of the setting together. Some people hated it in large part because it was one of the books that did not spend pages and pages describing a region in detail (like The Shining South, Silver Marches or Serpent Kingdoms did). That was unfair IMO. The book is full of interesting NPC's, organizations and adventure seeds.

This. This is my favorite.

However, I disagree that it was crucial to the setting. Really, I saw Powers of Faerun as a general purpose book that used the running examples from the FR. But the most important aspect of this book, imho, is that it's a guide on how to conduct different forms of campaigns. From the king's court to the frontier. That's why it's an asset to me.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
1. The 3E Campaign Setting. Probably the best Setting book ever published (and I actually like Eberron more as a setting).

2. The 2E Gods Trilogy. So good, FR deities became default gods for all of our homebrews for about 10 years.

3. Lost Empires of Faerun. In a game about Dungeon delving, this book is absolutely amazing. A great way to add details about that ruin you just happened to run across.

4. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep: Probably my favorite of the Volo's guides. Really, any of the Volo's guides are pure win.

5. Anything relating to Undermountain. I can't tell you how many times we've lurked through those first layers.

Remove ads