D&D 5E Best race for Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger build? High Elf/VHuman?

Trying to figure out the best race choice for my Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger build. Plan is to use the Bladesinger levels to boost defensive potential while delivering Booming Blade Sneak Attacks.

Level Progression will be Rogue 1/BS Wizard 2/AT Rogue 18.

The two contenders are High Elf or VHuman.

sulimo0310

Explorer
Unless your DM is waiving the requirements, humans are not eligible for bladesinger. Only Elf or half elf are allowed. Of the Elf subraces, high elf strikes me as the most "optimal". But they can all be utilized.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Why not Half-Elf. Given you're using SCAG, I'll assume that you have access to the book. The Half-Elf Variant grants basically the elf race of your choice with more stats. Iirc.

mellored

Legend
You'll want to boost your Dex before Int either way. So BS will only give you +2 AC for a good while, which you can get by using a shield. Plus it's going to set you back 2 levels on you rogue stuff (uncanny dodge), as well as your ABI (which includes +1 AC).

Unless your want the wizards utility, i would skip BS and go high elf with booming blade as your racial ability. Possibly dip fighter or take medium armored for shields.

sulimo0310

Explorer
I second mellored. The Bladesinger actually makes a great "traditional" wizard (read God wizard a la treantmonks fantastic guide) but a rather sub par gish. If you are looking for that an arcane trickster high elf with a figther dip is going to be pretty darn good.

Forgot about the racial requirement, which would affect playing it in AL. However, for the sake of argument, let's say that it's been lifted. I would imagine that this may hold true for a few tables out there.

The idea is to have the utility of the wizard spellbook for 1st level rituals without sacrificing too much combat prowess. I'm aware that this build would be a bit suboptimal, but it's more of a thought experiment for tweaking a build to add another option for those seeking to play a gish build.

Assuming High Elf, the starting stats would be the following:
Str 8
Dex 16 (14+2)
Con 14
Int 16 (15+1)
Wis 12
Cha 8

Bladesinging would be getting me +3 AC to start, which is 1 higher than a shield.

EDIT: Going BS would also slightly speed up my spell slot progression. I would get my 4th level slots at CL17, and give me one more 4th level slot than a straight AT.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
The idea is to have the utility of the wizard spellbook for 1st level rituals without sacrificing too much combat prowess. I'm aware that this build would be a bit suboptimal, but it's more of a thought experiment for tweaking a build to add another option for those seeking to play a gish build.
If your going for the utility, then go ahead. But having 4th level slots doesn't have as much impact without 4th level spells. Which you won't get. Not that an extra 3rd level spell is bad.

Your best bet might be human with ritual caster. Get the rituals, at the cost of a few stat points instead of a level.

Also consider a single level of Arcane cleric. Which picks up some good buffs spells, shields, and the attack cantrip.

I'm not really a huge fan of builds that have 3 multiclass prerequisite stats, expecially with ASIs being class features instead of character features. The main reason for this is that they tend take a while for everything to come online. While the build I described in this thread is a 20-level build, I aim for practicality in 10 levels or less.

Plus taking on a shield is going to require the War Caster feat ASAP, as AT doesn't get access to spellcasting foci. This is where BS seems like a more logical choice, as I'd always have a free hand to access my component pouch for other spells without having to sheathe my rapier.

Ovarwa

Explorer
BladesingerY/AssassinX, and ignore BB in favor of using the extra attack to ensure landing sneak attack? Quieter too. :) Order of levels doesn't matter except Rogue1 first. At least 6 levels of BS for 2nd attack. Most mixes work. Dex > Int.

the_move

First Post
Unless your DM is waiving the requirements, humans are not eligible for bladesinger. Only Elf or half elf are allowed. Of the Elf subraces, high elf strikes me as the most "optimal". But they can all be utilized.

Eladrin (proto-elf) should be almost on par with the high elf. Same bonus stats and a free Misty Step per rest.

Remove ads