D&D 5E Best Wizard and Cleric Subclasses (Level 1 to 10)

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Its my bad, I'll add the Only PHB condition on the first post =S

EDIT: But overall, I really liked Tempest Cleric and Divination Wizard. They both seem fun and strong. Are they both like "beginer-caster-friendly" subclasses? Cause I've only played like Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian characters.. Its my first time playing a full caster

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Its my bad, I'll add the Only PHB condition on the first post =S

EDIT: But overall, I really liked Tempest Cleric and Divination Wizard. They both seem fun and strong. Are they both like "beginer-caster-friendly" subclasses? Cause I've only played like Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian characters.. Its my first time playing a full caster
The real difficulty for beginners is understanding the spell slot mechanic, compared to spells prepared. If you're good with that, it's just learning tactics.

Vymair

First Post
It hasn't been mentioned, but for a beginning Wizard, Evoker is a solid choice as well. The ability to just drop your big evocations right on top of the party and then exclude the PCs from the effect makes the placements of the big evocations much easier. If you are playing a Wizard to throw fireballs around, this is a solid choice. Diviner and Abjurer are excellent as well.

For the cleric, if you are going to focus on healing and support, the Life cleric is the only choice. For a more offense casting cleric, I think I'd lean towards Light cleric, the Channel Divinity ability is amazing at low level very effective even into the higher end of the level range you are considering. For a combat cleric, War Cleric.

Rossbert

Explorer
The question an extent is best at what?

If you like planning carefully and reducing the impact of chance - Diviner
If you like ensuring other people are safe to do their jobs well and shut down opponents - Abjurer
If you want to shoot powerful elemental blasts without much worry - Evoker
If you enjoy creative problem solving - Illusionist or maybe Enchanter

I find depending on the build and rulings Conjurer, Necromancer and Enchanter can really slow the game down. I limit myself to one conjured creature and a familiar at any one time out of respect for other people's turn time.

On the divine end:

For maximum healing - Life
If unholy heads MUST be smashed - War
If you want to stand back and call down righteous fury - Light
If you can't pick between Light and War - Tempest

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
The question an extent is best at what?

If you like planning carefully and reducing the impact of chance - Diviner
If you like ensuring other people are safe to do their jobs well and shut down opponents - Abjurer
If you want to shoot powerful elemental blasts without much worry - Evoker
If you enjoy creative problem solving - Illusionist or maybe Enchanter

I find depending on the build and rulings Conjurer, Necromancer and Enchanter can really slow the game down. I limit myself to one conjured creature and a familiar at any one time out of respect for other people's turn time.

On the divine end:

For maximum healing - Life
If unholy heads MUST be smashed - War
If you want to stand back and call down righteous fury - Light
If you can't pick between Light and War - Tempest

Thats a good overview of the subclasses, thanks!

Dausuul

Legend
I'm going to assume that feats are also not allowed, so you can't play a Life cleric and take Magic Initiate for goodberry cheese.

...Even so, I'm going to go with Life for the cleric domain. You get heavy armor, a big pool of heal power that refreshes on a short rest, and your regular healing spells are significantly powered-up. Runner-up is Trickery (for an impressive array of utility spells, and the shenanigans potential of invoke duplicity), and Light (for the ability to cast fireball).

For wizards, I pick Divination. You can't beat Portent. Runner-ups are Transmutation (for free proficiency in Con saves) and Abjuration (for extra hit points).

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
I'm going to assume that feats are also not allowed, so you can't play a Life cleric and take Magic Initiate for goodberry cheese.

...Even so, I'm going to go with Life for the cleric domain. You get heavy armor, a big pool of heal power that refreshes on a short rest, and your regular healing spells are significantly powered-up. Runner-up is Trickery (for an impressive array of utility spells, and the shenanigans potential of invoke duplicity), and Light (for the ability to cast fireball).

For wizards, I pick Divination. You can't beat Portent. Runner-ups are Transmutation (for free proficiency in Con saves) and Abjuration (for extra hit points).

Actually feats are allowed =)

ccs

41st lv DM
Q: What's the best cleric/wizard subclass....

A: Whichever one allows me to best express the character I'm envisioning....

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Q: What's the best cleric/wizard subclass....

A: Whichever one allows me to best express the character I'm envisioning....

Well, Im actually trying to do the opposite. Choose a class and then build my charactet around it. You see, I"ve always played Fighter/Barb/Paladin characters, this time I want to roll a Caster.. thats why Im researching for it =)

Remove ads