D&D 4E Betting on 4e

Trainz

Explorer
Monte At Home said:
Jonathan doesn't talk like that. (And that's not the phoniest part of that humorous press release.)
Oh... so you know for a fact the "press release" is phony ?

That said, whatever my "ranks" are, it's not so bad. ;)
I meant no disrespect at all in that statement, and I wasn't hinting that "your ranks" is a bad place to be. I was just speculating that, given the premise I suggested, if it was indeed a leak... you understand.

While it would be way worse to be let go rather than leave voluntarily, I'm certainly even those people who were laid off would probably agree that there is indeed life after WotC. (And a couple of them have been fairly quietly rehired.)
This has been proven time and time again. You, for one, seem to be doing purty well !

Is Fall of 2006 believable for 4th edition? Maybe. It's unrealistic but possible. 2007 is far more likely and given the current staff as well as the position of D&D in its parent company, I'd actively be surprised if it's not out by GenCon 2008.
Where does this "press release" comes from then ? And if it is indeed phony, what kind of retribution from WotC can the perpetrators expect ? Fabricating a quote is not something to be taken lightly...

But it's all just speculation. I'd be willing to bet that even the good folks at WotC right now don't know when 4th edition will come.

...but I bet they're talking about it.
I will not take that bet. ;)

Last edited:

Sketchpad

Explorer
Personally ... I've gotten so sick of Xe or X.Xe ... why not just let the system sit for a while ... a long while. It seems to me that you have to be a millionaire to play a game these days ... even other companies have started in with their own systems (ie: GURPS 4e) ... I understand that people want to make money, but at what cost?

Trainz

Explorer
wedgeski said:
Tell me you didn't believe that. :) "Starter kits will include no dice, and the game will move to a 1 1/2 inch scale." Funny stuff.
Well, I didn't catch this.

Point at me and laugh.

To my defense, you will see in my posts that I suggested the possibility that it WAS a hoax. I didn't go on shouting "FIRE" or somesuch.

The_Universe

First Post
I think we'll see something somewhat later than 2006, if only because of the apparent new focus on recruiting.

If you sell a bunch of D&D Basic Sets (as WotC/HASBRO clearly hopes to do), then the idea is that you want to sell those recruits on the "full" or "advanced" version of the game. If you go to a whole new addition before those kids have a chance to mature and start buying handbooks and accessories with rules they can use in them, you've made a huge marketing blunder.

D&D Basic is a tool to sell the current edition of the game, and I think that it illustrates a shift in focus from the FAST switch from 3 to 3.5.

Nonetheless, if D&D basic flops, expect a 4th edition fast on its heels. Do I think that that would be a mistake? Heck yes. I was fine with 3.5, but 4 so fast is getting absurd.

In short, my prediction is 2008 (or later) if Basic sells well. Maybe 2006 if it doesn't.

Pants

First Post
I started laughing when it mentioned D&D Millenium Edition. :D

If that didn't just scream 'satire' then I don't know what will...

diaglo

Adventurer
Pants said:
I started laughing when it mentioned D&D Millenium Edition. :D

If that didn't just scream 'satire' then I don't know what will...

why does that scream satire? :confused:

i use those terms now....2000ed and 3.11ed for Workgroups.

D&D ME just seems logical to me. :D

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Sketchpad said:
Personally ... I've gotten so sick of Xe or X.Xe ... why not just let the system sit for a while ... a long while. It seems to me that you have to be a millionaire to play a game these days ... even other companies have started in with their own systems (ie: GURPS 4e) ... I understand that people want to make money, but at what cost?

They aren't interested in what is good for us, but what is good for their bottom line. Why haven't psionics been added to the PHB? Why so few PrC's in the DMG? Sales, sales, sales. Sometimes I wonder if the quality of the 3e and 3.5e rules weren't just a delightful side effect of the push to drum up sales.

Oh well, if it is, we can hope that 4e will continue in the same vein.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Sketchpad said:
Yeah, but GURPS 3E is over 10 years old, so that's not so bad, IMO.

As far as being a millionaire? Far from it. You really can get by with just the core books. Scratch that. Replace "get by" with "have lots of fun" in the previous sentence. As a matter of fact, 95% of what I use is the 3 core books. Matter of fact, I went about 2 years without pulling in anything outside the 3 core books.

Remove ads