Beyond Bond & Bourne: Other secret agent/espionage movies

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The real value in Netflix for me is access to foreign shows & movies. And for $9/month, it's cheaper than seeing a single movie in the theatre, and way way way less than cable. So, actually, I guess I'd be really curious to know what's a better value from your point of view.
I tend to buy DVDs- some movies, some TV shows, mostly concerts. After one purchase, I get infinite viewings.

Don't know that I've noticed $9/month worth of foreign stuff I don't already get with FIOS. Don't know that I've seen $9/mo worth of ANYTHING I want to watch I don't already get. (Note: we don't buy any of the premium channel packages.)

And some of what I watch- like Palladia- is simply not available without FIOS or some similar provider.

So, adding $9/month doesn't seem worth it at this point in time.:erm:

Nellisir

Hero
I guess I don't know what FIOS is; I know that most of what I watch on Netflix I was exposed to via Netflix, so I don't know how available it is on other platforms. There are shows in the US that I like, but with more international stuff I can watch more stuff I really like and not settle for stuff that's just decent. That's just my experience, though. We pay oodles for our cable tv, and I think it's mostly a total waste. I'd drop it in an instant if my wife would let me; as it is, we're going to revisit the issue soon. My cable provider wants more $$$ for everything worthwhile.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FIOS is Verizon's high-speed cable & Internet service.

I agree that most of what is in cable is not something I'd watch. I'd go so far as to say that of each individual channel I DO watch.

(After all, I am fond of Theodore Sturgeon's Second Law: "90% of everything is [crud].")

But I have yet to see anything advertised on Netflix that would simultaneously make me want to drop FIOS and add Netflix because it doesn't have the breadth I want.

IOW, Sturgeon's 2nd applies to Netflix as well.

Nellisir

Hero
I haven't seen anything advertised on Netflix that really grabs me (although the Marvel shows haven't started up yet), but they pretty much advertise the big name stuff. There are a number of BBC shows I enjoy (Bletchley Circle; Hinterland; Foyle's War; to name a few), plus some Swedish stuff and a lot of Korean films.

I'm NOT saying you need to sign up for it; I am saying that I think their advertising only reflects 1% of what they have available. The attraction for me isn't the big name movie releases; it's the less well-known gems from elsewhere.

If you ever decided to pick it up for a month, let me know and I'll shoot you a list of stuff to check out. If you like it, cool, if not, that's cool too. :)

Nellisir

Hero
[slightly off topic]i really liked foyal's war and thale.[/back to regular programming]

I have Thale in my queue, and Netflix keeps throwing it at me, but I haven't watched it yet. Can't figure out what sort of movie it's supposed to be. I highly recommend Hinterland and Bletchly Circle if you liked Foyle's War. Bletchly is the same time period +5/10 years, and Hinterland is modern day Wales.

I need to finish watching Annika Bengtzon, Crime Reporter; that goes away at the end of the month. I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it's a solid 4 and I just like looking at Sweden. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
They are in my cue now. Foyal's war keeps showing up.

as for Thale, it is a story about these guys who find a fey creature and what they do about it. there are some tricky complications, but that is all i will say so as not to give any spoilers.

Remove ads