Beyond Bond & Bourne: Other secret agent/espionage movies

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
TV shows: The Prisoner, The Avengers & Spooks, I Spy (also a movie)
Mr & Mrs Smith
Three Days of The Condor
Hitchcock did a few but people don't think of them as spy movies: Sabotage, North by Northwest, Notorious
The In-Laws
The Fourth Protocol
Eye of The Needle

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Sabotage with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I fear all the ones I had in mind have already been mentioned. [Avengers, Saint, I spy,Tom Clancy, Mr & Mrs Smith, Three Days of The Condor and others]

Dioltach

Legend
Speaking of Schwarzenegger: True Lies.
Recently I've also been watching The Americans. For a more science-fantasy approach to a spy series, there's Alias.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ah, yes. forgot those three!

Out of curiosity I googled spy movies and saw : top 10 movies as rated by real spies

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979) <<--- Already mentioned

Munich (2006)

Ronin (1998) <<----I don't think this was mentioned yet
39 Steps (1935) <<---or this one

Eye of the Needle <<--- I remember the 1981 movie. It was good

Three Days of the Condor (1975) <<--- Already mentioned

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1965)

Body of Lies (2008)

The Good Shepherd (2006)<<--- I remember watching this but don't remember if I liked it or not (thanks coma!)

Tailor of Panama (2001)<<---Worth the laugh at the slickness of the spy.

Those are what I found on a quick search, but there are probably 1000's of lists out there.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, it is understandable. That one is leaning away from espionage, and into "caper", akin to Leverage.

I know, but I meant me PERSONALLY- I'm a huge fan of the show. Alas, I missed the 2nd hour of the series finale. I was out of town, an my DVR thought it was a rerun. :(

In a similar vein, The Equalizer was also a tasty show that combined capers with spies. (Good soundtrack, too.). As was Human Target and, with a superheroic twist, Alphas.

Another TV comedy spy show was the UK's Spy.

Remove ads