• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beyond Bond & Bourne: Other secret agent/espionage movies

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
TV shows: The Prisoner, The Avengers & Spooks, I Spy (also a movie)
Mr & Mrs Smith
Three Days of The Condor
Hitchcock did a few but people don't think of them as spy movies: Sabotage, North by Northwest, Notorious
The In-Laws
The Fourth Protocol
Eye of The Needle

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Sabotage with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I fear all the ones I had in mind have already been mentioned. [Avengers, Saint, I spy,Tom Clancy, Mr & Mrs Smith, Three Days of The Condor and others]

Dioltach

Legend
Speaking of Schwarzenegger: True Lies.
Recently I've also been watching The Americans. For a more science-fantasy approach to a spy series, there's Alias.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ah, yes. forgot those three!

Out of curiosity I googled spy movies and saw : top 10 movies as rated by real spies

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979) <<--- Already mentioned

Munich (2006)

Ronin (1998) <<----I don't think this was mentioned yet
39 Steps (1935) <<---or this one

Eye of the Needle <<--- I remember the 1981 movie. It was good

Three Days of the Condor (1975) <<--- Already mentioned

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1965)

Body of Lies (2008)

The Good Shepherd (2006)<<--- I remember watching this but don't remember if I liked it or not (thanks coma!)

Tailor of Panama (2001)<<---Worth the laugh at the slickness of the spy.

Those are what I found on a quick search, but there are probably 1000's of lists out there.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, it is understandable. That one is leaning away from espionage, and into "caper", akin to Leverage.

I know, but I meant me PERSONALLY- I'm a huge fan of the show. Alas, I missed the 2nd hour of the series finale. I was out of town, an my DVR thought it was a rerun. :(

In a similar vein, The Equalizer was also a tasty show that combined capers with spies. (Good soundtrack, too.). As was Human Target and, with a superheroic twist, Alphas.

Another TV comedy spy show was the UK's Spy.

Remove ads