Bill Willingham releases Fables into the public domain.

Reynard

Legend
That’s going to be interesting. Lots of people going to find out real quick that they don’t know enough about trademark and copyright.

DC owns the trademark on the name. DC owns the artwork (almost certainly). Bill owns the characters, words, and stories.
Yup. It's like Action #1 entering the public domain. No, that doesn't mean Superman is completely available.

Out of curiosity, I checked the rights declaration in the first collected edition...

Polish_20230915_161302127.png

... looks like DC claimed joint copyright with Willingham, but all the associated trademarks are Willingham's. :unsure:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
... looks like DC claimed joint copyright with Willingham, but all the associated trademarks are Willingham's. :unsure:
Yes, DC published that collection and they share the copyright. I am not an IP (or any other kind of) lawyer, but as I understand it, Willingham's actions do not grant anyone special privileges to the works he created with DC. Those specific works are copyrighted. What this does allow (again, IMO) is people to create new works and new stories based on the Fables stories, setting, and characters. The broader IP is what is shared, not the already created works. By this same token, if someone were to create a new Fables comic book, with new stories, that work would be copyrighted by that creator and their publisher.

Edited to add: A new creator could not use the same Fables logo and trade dress that DC Comics used, as that is probably covered by trademark. Unless it is part of the "distinctive elements" that Willingham holds trademark to.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is also surely some specific contract language we are not privy. Willingham himself alludes to it in his post.

But in either case: bring on the Fables RPG Kickstarter!
Realistically, I doubt anyone will try and put anything on the line: too much risk from Warner-Diaco ery, too little reward when they can just do a rip-offf based on the same public domain stuff.

Remove ads