• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Widow

But do you rate any of the other MCU movies lower than this one? I don't.

I want to like it, but I sort of got tired of the character, even before the events of Endgame. I wonder if the writers were sensing that too and why Endgame went the way it did for her. And maybe her solo prequel movie was not as perfect as it could have been because of that too. But I also have a problem enjoying prequels for characters who are dead in the current timeline of what universe/series it may be. On the Star Wars side of Disney, this has me wondering just how well I will be able to invest my enjoyment in either the Obi-Wan or Cassian Andor D+ series.
Original hulk was really bad but not sure I count that as mcu. I would say a tie with captain marvel and the antman

being a prequel didn’t bother me. I know Luke sky walker was dead but having him show in Mando was great.

these movies have a decent to good lead actor but the villains aren’t very good and the scripts don’t seem very good

the main villian was so bland I can’t recall his name

I would argue that all of the Netflix marvel tv series had better villains than this movie
Kingpin
Kilgrave-same kind of powers but more jnteresting
Jigsaw-more compelling villian
Mariah Dillard, cottonmouth etc

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
His plan actually makes slightly more sense if you take the position that he new about the main plot point from Eternals.

Not having seen it, I cannot.

However, the basic issue with Thanos' plan is super-simple - what he does is undone within less than a century by plain old fashion population growth.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would argue that all of the Netflix marvel tv series had better villains than this movie

1) Marvel movies are not about the villains, generally.

2) A movie has two to two-and-a-half hours of total screen time. One season of Marvel TV has about 13 episodes, or about 11 hours of screen time. No stuff, with 5 times more show, they can make characters more interesting.

1) Marvel movies are not about the villains, generally.

2) A movie has two to two-and-a-half hours of total screen time. One season of Marvel TV has about 13 episodes, or about 11 hours of screen time. No stuff, with 5 times more show, they can make characters more interesting.
i would slightly disagree with you
Thanos (2 movies and he was some of the better parts of the movies), almost every spiderman villian, Ultron could have been better/should have been. Killmonger in black panther steals the show. They steal the show because there are moments in the mvoie where it looks hopeless and all is lost and the villian is winning. Widow literally has about 3 seconds of that . Once she breaks her nose its game over

Vincent D'onofrio has screen presence in that role (he didnt have it in the jurassic park movie). Yes he has more time to develop but Michael Keaton didnt

General Dreykov is played by Ray Winstone (has good performances to his name) and is the main villian in the movie . I would argue that he was less interesting than many minor marvel movie villians. This goes to the script and director

Its part of the problem with iron man 2/3/hulks/parts of guardians 2-The villians and scripts are lacking

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Vincent D'onofrio has screen presence in that role (he didnt have it in the jurassic park movie). Yes he has more time to develop but Michael Keaton didnt

Michael Keaton... has turned out to be some kind of demigod, rather than a mortal actor.

A woman just ran six marathons in six weeks, two of them back to back on consecutive days. That one person can manage that does not make it a realistic target or expectation for marathoners, in general. That a couple of movies have been exceptional is not proof (or even particularly strong evidence) that can be the norm.

Michael Keaton... has turned out to be some kind of demigod, rather than a mortal actor.

A woman just ran six marathons in six weeks, two of them back to back on consecutive days. That one person can manage that does not make it a realistic target or expectation for marathoners, in general. That a couple of movies have been exceptional is not proof (or even particularly strong evidence) that can be the norm.
true . i would argue that there is a formula and the reason these movies arent meeting expectations is due to poor/average performances, weak scripts and weak villians

i havent seen the newest marvel movies but i would bet they fall prey to the above

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
true . i would argue that there is a formula and the reason these movies arent meeting expectations is due to poor/average performances, weak scripts and weak villians

"Formula" implies "predictable results". Since the results are not predicable (some are good, others not), there is no formula for success.

i havent seen the newest marvel movies but i would bet they fall prey to the above

Shang Chi was a lot of fun. Black Widow wasn't my absolute favorite, but there were a lot of things in it I did like, and I don't feel like it was a waste. My wife, who is not a big fan of Marvel characters who's basic power is "punch things" (so the Captain America films really weren't her bag) liked Black Widow.

"Formula" implies "predictable results". Since the results are not predicable (some are good, others not), there is no formula for success.

Shang Chi was a lot of fun. Black Widow wasn't my absolute favorite, but there were a lot of things in it I did like, and I don't feel like it was a waste. My wife, who is not a big fan of Marvel characters who's basic power is "punch things" (so the Captain America films really weren't her bag) liked Black Widow.
agree not a waste just not great

Remove ads