• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Widow

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
agree not a waste just not great

When everything is great, our ideas of what constitutes greatness change. Once you have enough of a type of movie out there to think about an average, we could then reasonably expect that roughly half of them will be below that average, and half above.

Our expectations should then be that about half the Marvel movies are "not great".

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
I think Endgame was a fine ending point for my Marvel viewing - a satisfying enough end to a story arc. It seems like everything Marvel makes is just hyping for the next upcoming movie or series, and it's exhausting.
So no Black Widow, no Disney+ Series, no Shang-Chi, no Eternals, etc.

I think Endgame was a fine ending point for my Marvel viewing - a satisfying enough end to a story arc. It seems like everything Marvel makes is just hyping for the next upcoming movie or series, and it's exhausting.

This may be considered a "hot take", but I actually think that Infinity War is the best ending point for the MCU. As long as you're okay with downer endings (which, clearly, I am) it makes for a much more solid conclusion of the series. For every moment of character and plot development that Endgame has, it backtracks on another one (or more). And no super hero story has ever been made better with time travel.

When everything is great, our ideas of what constitutes greatness change. Once you have enough of a type of movie out there to think about an average, we could then reasonably expect that roughly half of them will be below that average, and half above.

Our expectations, then are that about half the Marvel movies are "not great".
agreed almost 1/2 arent great

there are certain ones when they come on say TNT i will pause and watch. There are others where i wont and there are some so bad that i quickly skip (the hulk move for instance where he turns to banner by melting). Winter Soldier comes on and i'm not turning the television regardless of how many times ive seen it

I would argue there are only a few batman movies where i do the same. The rest are very bad (batman forever, batman robin with Clooney). Clooney is considered an iconic actor by some and yet these movies to me are painful to watch.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I feel like Toy Story was a fine ending point for my Pixar viewing - a satisfying and emotional end. It seems like most of the movies Pixar is coming out with are sequals and series and it's exhausting.

tongue in cheek

Retreater

Legend
I feel like Toy Story was a fine ending point for my Pixar viewing - a satisfying and emotional end. It seems like most of the movies Pixar is coming out with are sequals and series and it's exhausting.

tongue in cheek
I get it, but it's not like a Pixar movie leaves behind huge plot holes, has no wrap-up, etc. That's Marvel territory. To me, MCU films are individually unsatisfying (with only a few exceptions). On the series front, Loki doesn't even make sense. It doesn't tell a coherent story. It's a "set up" for the next phase of Marvel movies - a season-long commercial disguised as entertainment.

S'mon

Legend
This may be considered a "hot take", but I actually think that Infinity War is the best ending point for the MCU. As long as you're okay with downer endings (which, clearly, I am) it makes for a much more solid conclusion of the series. For every moment of character and plot development that Endgame has, it backtracks on another one (or more). And no super hero story has ever been made better with time travel.
I'd say remove the time travel and end it with the death of Thanos.

MarkB

Legend
I certainly agree about the time travel part. Much of Endgame wound up feeling like a Greatest Hits reel of prior Marvel movies.
I'd say remove the time travel and end it with the death of Thanos.
Or just have Thor aim for the head in the first place.

Remove ads