• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Booming Blade seems a bit powerful

dalisprime

Explorer
Sorry for the thread necro but something occurred to me just now. Warcaster feat allows the use of a cantrip as an AoO. Let's say the lore bard with warcaster hits his target with BB. The target decides to move away and is hit with BB as an AoO again. Would they take the BB rider damage twice? Cause if so it would be a nice way for bladelocks and melee bards with BB and hex to increase their damage output vs runners. 2(1d8+3+1d8+2d8+1d6) assuming a rapier or a longsword and a 16 in their melee stat. Average of 49 damage from getting those two hits in is pretty good in the 5-10 level range... granted the target has to choose to run away.

AesirsChampion

First Post
Sorry for the thread necro but something occurred to me just now. Warcaster feat allows the use of a cantrip as an AoO. Let's say the lore bard with warcaster hits his target with BB. The target decides to move away and is hit with BB as an AoO again. Would they take the BB rider damage twice? Cause if so it would be a nice way for bladelocks and melee bards with BB and hex to increase their damage output vs runners. 2(1d8+3+1d8+2d8+1d6) assuming a rapier or a longsword and a 16 in their melee stat. Average of 49 damage from getting those two hits in is pretty good in the 5-10 level range... granted the target has to choose to run away.

The short answer is yes and no. The OA occurs when the enemy decides to move, but before he actually leaves his space. So, let's say you hit him with an OA BB. Because movement is worked differently in 5e (i.e. no move action, just move, even between actions, so long as you have the movement to do so) nothing is stopping the target from canceling his movement to avoid the riders, which actually benefits you because the added damage gives the target extra incentive to stay put and not seek out your more vulnerable party members. If the target decides to move anyway, then yes it would take both riders (from the standard action BB on your turn and the reaction OA BB).

Sorry for condoning the thread necro BTW.

gyor

Legend
Neat trick with booming blade on a Sorceror with Warcaster feat, cast a quickened Empowered booming blade, then a twined Empowered booming blade, and once more as an OA. That means you make 4 Empowered Booming Blades in one round. A one level dip into fighterfor weapons profs, and the GWF style could be useful as well.

dalisprime

Explorer
The short answer is yes and no. The OA occurs when the enemy decides to move, but before he actually leaves his space. So, let's say you hit him with an OA BB. Because movement is worked differently in 5e (i.e. no move action, just move, even between actions, so long as you have the movement to do so) nothing is stopping the target from canceling his movement to avoid the riders, which actually benefits you because the added damage gives the target extra incentive to stay put and not seek out your more vulnerable party members. If the target decides to move anyway, then yes it would take both riders (from the standard action BB on your turn and the reaction OA BB).

Sorry for condoning the thread necro BTW.

Bit like having the sentinel feat...without having the sentinel feat. If you can make it a heavy armor build (bard/life cleric or warlock/paladin?) that's an interesting option for a tank.

Neat trick with booming blade on a Sorceror with Warcaster feat, cast a quickened Empowered booming blade, then a twined Empowered booming blade, and once more as an OA. That means you make 4 Empowered Booming Blades in one round. A one level dip into fighterfor weapons profs, and the GWF style could be useful as well.

Not certain how a twinned booming blade would work. The spell requires you to make a melee attack - twinning it won't give you an extra attack as the spell's effect is the thunder damage that relies on the attack to happen in the first place.

Last edited:

AesirsChampion

First Post

I don't think it would be as useful as you think. You won't be able to do that until level 10 (11 if you picked up a level in fighter as you suggested) at the earliest, and even then, you're burning through more than half your sorcery points for that 1 round. All on the hope that the target(s) move on their initiative to take the rider damage, which after being subjected to that many booming blades in a round is doubtful. I don't know, I just think there are better ways to spend 7 sorcery points.

EDIT: also, as per twinned spells wording, the twinned booming blade has to target a second creature, not the original target.

Last edited:

The rider won't stack with itself. If he takes the Booming Blade damage initially as he's moving around (before he goes out of your reach and triggers an opportunity attack), then that's fine and it works--but if he hasn't, then even if you hit him, all you're doing is renewing the "booming energy" around him (whatever that is). You don't double the rider, because spells don't stack with themselves. If you're 10th level, he'll take 2d8 damage when he moves, not 4d8.

PHB_pg_205 said:
The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine. Instead, the most potent effect - such as the highest bonus - from those castings applies while their durations overlap. For example, if two Clerics cast Bless on the same target, the character gains the spell's benefit only once.

AesirsChampion

First Post
The rider won't stack with itself. If he takes the Booming Blade damage initially as he's moving around (before he goes out of your reach and triggers an opportunity attack), then that's fine and it works--but if he hasn't, then even if you hit him, all you're doing is renewing the "booming energy" around him (whatever that is). You don't double the rider, because spells don't stack with themselves. If you're 10th level, he'll take 2d8 damage when he moves, not 4d8.

That is true. While I'd allow the rider to stack in my game, according to the rules it doesn't in official play. Can't believe I forgot about that important bit about spells.

Al2O3

Explorer
Would someone remind me: would booming blade from two PCs stack? If no, my group will be notably less effective by remembering that rule...

Sent from my Huawei P10 plus

Remove ads