• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

buckler question

shadowcaster007

First Post
I am creating a 1st level fighter.
I want a greatsword, since I have to use both hands I can't take a regular shield.
Can I still take a buckler?
There isn't any mention in the description about use with a 2 handed weapon, just 2 weapons.

kreynolds

First Post
I can't find anything that specifically addresses two-handed weapons and bucklers. But, I'd say you still suffer the -1 penalty, since you are in fact using your off-hand.

P.S. You can always take a buckler, it's just a question of whether or not you want to deal with the penalties, if any. :)

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
You wont have any problem weilding a Greatsword while wearing a buckler... but you wont get the benefits of it's AC bonus during any round that you use that hand to weild the sword instead of for defence.

there is a -1 Attack penalty for weapons used in the same hand as the buckler due to the added weight on your arm, so that should apply to two-handed weapons also.

Buckler: This small metal shield is strapped to the forearm, allowing it to be worn and still use the hand. A bow or crossbow
can be used without penalty. An off-hand weapon can be used, but a -1 penalty on attack rolls is imposed because of the extra
weight on your arm. This penalty stacks with those for fighting with the off hand and, if appropriate, for fighting with two
weapons. In any case, if a weapon is used in the off-hand, the character doesn't get the buckler's AC bonus for the rest of the
round.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nor would you get the AC benefit of the buckler when you are wielding your sword two-handed. And, since it sounds like you plan on ALWAYS using the sword two-handed, it sounds like a bad idea to have the buckler at all (since as Kreynolds said, you would have a -1 attack penalty as well).

kreynolds

First Post
shadowcaster007 said:
At this point don't you always have to use the Greatsword 2 handed?

Unless you can qualify for Monkey Grip, or you can increase your size-category to large, yes.

shadowcaster007 said:
At level 3 I intend to take the monkey grip feat then I will take a shield.

Not a bad idea, but honestly, you'll only get standard strength damage for wielding the greatsword one-handed, and you'll be at -2 to your attacks with it, and you would only get a +1 AC increase out of it. So, make sure you will actually benefit from this before you make up your mind. :)

Wolf72

Explorer
I don't think you get the -1 attk when using weapons two-handed, you do get them when attacking with two weapons.

a bow user does not suffer a -1 attk, so i wouldn't apply that to someone useing a two-handed sword.

... off-hand? not really, it would be both hands holding on to one object, much easier imo.

shadowcaster007

First Post
Wolf72 said:
I don't think you get the -1 attk when using weapons two-handed, you do get them when attacking with two weapons.

a bow user does not suffer a -1 attk, so i wouldn't apply that to someone useing a two-handed sword.

... off-hand? not really, it would be both hands holding on to one object, much easier imo.

That's kind of what I thought, but I'm not sure.

mikebr99

Explorer
Wolf72 said:

A bow user doesn't suffer a penalty due to the extra weight because a bowman isn't swinging anything around. He is just holding the the bow.

Using a two-handed weapon with a buckler on one arm would still penalize the guy due to the added weight and the fact that it'll thrown the swing off a little.. hense -1 attack penalty.

Aluvial

Explorer
I'll just post this question here...

Can you have a buckler on both arms?

The buckler doesn't allow the bonus to AC if you use the weapon to attack.

What would keep you from using two bucklers and then having a better AC if you wanted to use a Defensive Action?

Just the -1 to attack with either hand, right?

Aluvial

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads