Buffy RPG - A Hellmouth in Waterloo - The Bone Collector S1E1

Jemal

Adventurer
Jason frowns at Rechard's response then looks at Dafydd "Kind of sounds like my guy.. Was never really clear on what the spell did to him, it was big mojo, way over what I'm used to dealing with... Hey Paul, you said you've seen him in mirrors and stuff, right? What'd he look like?"
'And for that matter, where'd that book come from, who brought it to Paul, and.. why him?' He whispers to Dafydd.

[sblock=ooc]
Not sure if it's the same demon, but might as well try to find out..
While we're on the subject, did you pick a name/type/look for 'The Demon' that Jason's following?[/sblock]

DrZombie

First Post
[Parking, university campus. Motorcycle with Rory and Steven slows down and parks. ]

"Thanks for the lift, man." Steven says as he gets off the bike. "You wanna go look for Daffy and the other guy? Might as well cal him Elmer. "Steven chuckles.

Cor Azer

First Post
INT. DAY - DAFYDD'S OFFICE

Paul sits sullen and scared to the side of the office, with Rechard, Dafydd, and Jason in a loose semi-circle. Stephen and Rory enter, looking with unfamiliarity at the sitting Paul and standing Jason.

Paul lifts his head at Jason's question.

PAUL
I never... Never really got a good look.
Like catching something in the corner of your eye.
Bulky... and... and shadowy. Pointed ears - maybe horns - on the side of his head.
And his eyes are red...
(voice slowly begins going monotone)
Red like flicking candles...
Like two gates into hell.
Find the bone...​

Paul bolts upright in his chair.

PAUL
Oh God, help me!​

ANGLE: Pan across crowd, ending on Jason.

FADE TO:​

CLOSE: Still on Jason - though a little less worn. Widen to:

INT. NIGHT - A CLUTTERED STUDY

Jason stands in the center of the piles of books, staring at a not-quite-finishing painting on a nearby easel - a stocky, scaled humanoid with several rows of sharp teeth in its mouth, a forked tongue, and long pointed ears on either side of its head. A pale, almost broken, man - EDDIE - and a well-bred British woman - MICHELLE - enter.

MICHELLE
Ugly chap, isn't he?
The Demon Gyuliga, sometimes called The Bone Collector...

EDDIE
(tired)
"His Right and Powerful Lord O'er the Bones of Men and of Women and of Children" is the original Sanskrit.
Very particular that one is.

MICHELLE
Quite...
Eddie was able to use your descriptions in his research and found some more details, including this lovely portrait. It would seem that Gyuliga has been speaking improperly to several young men and women in the area - appearing in their mirrors and windows and convincing them to do some rather odious tasks. Whether by magic or other servants, he's able to smuggle books to his victims, tricking them into reading them and becoming his pawns. I suspect that is how your larper friends were bound to him and found the ritual.​

Another woman, a bit of a punk - FIRTH - enters.

FIRTH
You tell him about the seal?

MICHELLE
I was just about to, Miss Collins.
Jason, this upcoming battle will be hard, likely far more difficult than... well... you've seen what he can do yourself.
To be sure though, you didn't see Gyuliga's full power. The ritual your larper friends performed to summon him was incomplete, and now Gyuliga is trapped in some sort of interdimensional purgatory. He's using these news pawns to weaken the barrier so that he can fully emerge. To understate the impact of this, that would be a bad thing.
But we have a plan. I found a ritual to seal his purgatory - Ataroth's Binding - that should hold -

EDDIE
Except for the Hellmouth part...

MICHELLE
(a tad frustrated)
Indeed. Ataroth's Binding should strengthen the barriers around Gyuliga, but his will may yet be able to seep through at a Hellmouth. An old colleague of mine by the name of Dafydd is moving to Waterloo, where the Watchers have long suspected a Hellmouth is located. If we are successful in binding Gyuliga, then we'll send word to Dafydd to search for and protect Ataroth's Seal.

FIRTH
Onward and upward, true believers!​

FADE TO:​

INT. DAY - DAFYDD'S OFFICE

Most of the Goonies surround Paul, still sitting.

PAUL
He... I... he... We. We found Ataroth's Seal. It's built under and into one of the gazebos in Waterloo Park. Near the pond. I just had to find a bone of a demon in love...
(pause, as if summoning courage)
finish the blade - carve it into a knife, and stab it through the Seal.​

OOC: The Jason/Michelle flashback is info Jason has - you can run as if you tell the whole group the details, or pick and choose what you convey. But in short, yes, Gyuliga is the same demon in both cases.

jkason

First Post
Gavin is almost to the exit when he realizes no one seems to be carting off Juno. He bites his lip a moment, considering, then starts trying to make his way back toward the room, hoping that whatever's going on might let him get The Slayer back out of the hospital without having to raise bail.

Shayuri

First Post
"Dangerous, right. I guess that means it's Tuesday," Juno replied. "Hey, when you said he didn't...do you mean he didn't dodge the van? Is he hurt?"

The security guard put a hand on Juno's shoulder, blissfully unaware that jamming it down a blender might be safer. "Ma'am, you have to go. Now."

Juno grimaced, but stepped away from the bed.

"Alright," she said. "I'm going. Thanks Raychel. You've been a big help." She brushed the guard's hand off and headed back out into the hall, nearly bumping into Gavin.

"Hey," she greets, "Got what I could, which wasn't much. And I want the brains to check this Joanie out. I dunno what her deal is, but even if she's on our side she might know more than us about what's going on."

jkason

First Post
Gavin stutters a moment as he nearly manages to collide with the slayer, then composes himself as she fills him in. He nods.

"Sounds like we've got all we're going to here. To the brains, it is," he agrees, moving off with Juno to reconnect with the Watcher and the immortal professor.

DrZombie

First Post
Steven listens to the story as it unfolds, face stoic.

Slaying a gazebo? Phew, these guys have played one game of D&D too many. Still, could it be the same one?

"oskan omâwatinikêw macimanito" he says quietly.

[sblock=ooc] Guess Steven knows some legends about this, or a similar demon. He might have tried breaking through this hellgate a few centuries earlier?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Jason looks to Daffyd and nods "It's Gyuliga. Michelle was going to call and tell you about it once we sealed him, but.." He turns away for a moment, coughing as though clearing his throat. "She.. didn't get the chance."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry, have not been a very good Watcher lately. Will try to catch up.
"Well, um, it seems the first thing we need to do is research this 'Ataroth's Seal' and see what we can learn about it. I'll start scanning my digital records. I'll need someone to look through the ancient texts too. Still brushing up on my Latin..."

Dafydd opens up his search program and also checks the Watcher Wiki (the latter of which he does not suspect will have very much as he is the key contributor). He also gets out some of his old books which he has yet to digitally scan into his computer.

"Oh, and of course we'll have to see what we can learn about this Gyuliga fellow. If we aren't able to stop the ritual, Juno may have no recourse but to fight him. It would help to know what his weaknesses are."

Remove ads