D&D General [Bugbears & Borderlands] Full rules text download

Sacrosanct

Legend
After some revisions, with feedback from folks here, and some elsewhere, I'd like to offer a link to the 6x9 versions of B&B. Originally there was only going to be a digital pdf and 8.5x11 softcover (b/w interior). Some folks expressed interest in getting full cover interior 6x9 hardcover books, so here we are!

You can find the Player's Guide here.
You can find the GM's Guide here.

Who knows how long I'll keep these links up, so check them out while you can! I'd love to keep hearing your feedback! Just keep in mind the scope of this project when you do, so things like adding a bunch of classes, or changing an existing 5e rule that already works fine aren't likely to happen.

Project Scope
To create a streamlined version of 5e--a true basic version that is easy to learn, pick up, and play while adhering to the core of what makes 5e what it is, mechanically, and to incorporate 2024 changes as we know them. This allows players to most easily transition to the full game if they want without first being inundated by 200 pages of small text font of rules. Deviations from 5e rules are only in the cases where a gap exists (like dead levels) or to cover a fantasy archetype while keeping it to 3 core classes. Whenever possible, the mechanics have been stripped to the most core, removing things such as bonus actions, concentration, simplifying alignment and ability scores, and shifting features from races to backgrounds.

BandB 6by9 cover mockup.jpg

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Looks great! I'm glad to see what started out as a "maybe" project has completely come to fruition.

FWIW, I also love the 6x9 book option. I did that for a game I was working on 25 years ago or so and I think it makes it easier for gamers.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW, there are some grammar and layout issues there (I haven't done thorough editing yet), so don't stress too hard about those. This is just an early draft.
No worries. I focus on rules and mechanics, not layout issues. ;)

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to give these a new look-through. I know you've updated some things since I first reviewed it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I still think there should be a nature/druidic option for wizards. And maybe a 1-sentence description for the monsters. Other than that, it looks great!

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Working my way through while doing other things - I was kind of surprised it had the Elf, Dwarf, and Gnome sub-races given that they both have no mechanical effect and do tie together physical characteristics, location, and culture. Are they worth the extra decision points over getting rid of the physical description differences and going with "Some elvish clans and cities (called "High Elves" by some) are known for _______________ and favor ________________. Other elvish clans and cities...." ?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I still think there should be a nature/druidic option for wizards. And maybe a 1-sentence description for the monsters. Other than that, it looks great!
The Magical Bond feature at 4th level allows the Fey selection--sort of Nature/Druidic...

But I would have liked to see a couple druidic spells influence the spell list at each level.

I have a revised spell list that reflects a truly generic caster class.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The Magical Bond feature at 4th level allows the Fey selection--sort of Nature/Druidic...

But I would have liked to see a couple druidic spells influence the spell list at each level.

I have a revised spell list that reflects a truly generic caster class.
I misread the fey section, so you're right. I would'a called it Nature rather than Fey, though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I misread the fey section, so you're right. I would'a called it Nature rather than Fey, though.
It used to be more satyr like, with the ability to cast charm as a free spell, etc. I just need to update the name. And I am hearing you about primal magic. I'm not ignoring it ;)

1663208843950.png

Last edited:

Remove ads