D&D General [Bugbears & Borderlands] Full rules text download

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Quick note, the Lucky feature of the Rogue only works on traps that forces a Dex ability check, not saving throw. Is that normal? And I wonder why only traps and not all Dex saves like Evasion? If the goal is to make the Rogue more thief-oriented, I'd suggest giving them the benefit of the Dungeon Delver feat (advantage on spotting traps and hidden doors (and Illusions, why not) and then save for none against their effect, like your version). It would make it a little less niche, I think.

Lucky: You have Advantage on all ability tests make to perceive hidden traps, pitfalls and see through illusionary effects. If a traps would cause to make a saving throw, if the roll is successful, then the effect of the trap is completely ignored, and if it fails, only half damage is applied.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Quick note, the Lucky feature of the Rogue only works on traps that forces a Dex ability check, not saving throw. Is that normal? And I wonder why only traps and not all Dex saves like Evasion? If the goal is to make the Rogue more thief-oriented, I'd suggest giving them the benefit of the Dungeon Delver feat (advantage on spotting traps and hidden doors (and Illusions, why not) and then save for none against their effect, like your version). It would make it a little less niche, I think.

Lucky: You have Advantage on all ability tests make to perceive hidden traps, pitfalls and see through illusionary effects. If a traps would cause to make a saving throw, if the roll is successful, then the effect of the trap is completely ignored, and if it fails, only half damage is applied.
That's a good catch! It should be both ability checks and saving throws.

Sacrosanct

Legend
So after the feedback and adjustments, looking at capstone capability (level 10), boy, these sure seem like pretty powerful characters lol

Fighter: 3 attacks per round using higher damage dice, with the ability to take out 3 (6 with action surge) CR 1 creatures a round all by themselves (or up to six CR 2 creatures if they are crits)*. Three (four if human) abilities they are proficient in, and considering there aren't individual skills but everything is ability based, that's a lot of things a fighter can do where they add their prof bonus to. Imagine a 5e PC being skilled in all STR, DEX, CON, and WIS based skills? And at least one CR 2 sidekick follower.

Rogue: At first glance doesn't seem as powerful in combat like the fighter, and doesn't have the reality-bending magic of the wizard, but there's something there that's pretty big. A rogue is not going to take damage often. Four times per long rest they can nullify an attack, most DEX based saves are going to be nullified as well, and IMO the biggest thing is that can attack and then hide, even if they aren't obscured. I think that's going to be really a big deal in actual play.

Wizard: Wizards might not stand out because they've always been really powerful at higher level simply due to the spells. And that's true here as well. The Overcharge adds a lot of umph for forcing saves and extending spell durations. Some of the magical bonds add quite a bit. A scholar will be adding spell slots with every successful spell save. The sorcerer can cast a level 2 spell up to four times per long rest for free. Nature can change into an owlbear. Necromancer can have up to 10 zombies at any given time. I also changed the breath weapon for draconic bond to once per short rest, not long rest. 4d6 once per long rest seemed too weak.

* the idea that a fighter could take out up to 6 ghouls in a round (or 6 ogres!) sounds crazy to me, but then again, at level 10, that's what heroism is, right? Also, it would normally be 3, not six.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
So after the feedback and adjustments, looking at capstone capability (level 10), boy, these sure seem like pretty powerful characters lol

Fighter: 3 attacks per round using higher damage dice, with the ability to take out 3 (6 with action surge) CR 1 creatures a round all by themselves (or up to six CR 2 creatures if they are crits)*. Three (four if human) abilities they are proficient in, and considering there aren't individual skills but everything is ability based, that's a lot of things a fighter can do where they add their prof bonus to. Imagine a 5e PC being skilled in all STR, DEX, CON, and WIS based skills? And at least one CR 2 sidekick follower.

Rogue: At first glance doesn't seem as powerful in combat like the fighter, and doesn't have the reality-bending magic of the wizard, but there's something there that's pretty big. A rogue is not going to take damage often. Four times per long rest they can nullify an attack, most DEX based saves are going to be nullified as well, and IMO the biggest thing is that can attack and then hide, even if they aren't obscured. I think that's going to be really a big deal in actual play.

Wizard: Wizards might not stand out because they've always been really powerful at higher level simply due to the spells. And that's true here as well. The Overcharge adds a lot of umph for forcing saves and extending spell durations. Some of the magical bonds add quite a bit. A scholar will be adding spell slots with every successful spell save. The sorcerer can cast a level 2 spell up to four times per long rest for free. Nature can change into an owlbear. Necromancer can have up to 10 zombies at any given time. I also changed the breath weapon for draconic bond to once per short rest, not long rest. 4d6 once per long rest seemed too weak.

* the idea that a fighter could take out up to 6 ghouls in a round (or 6 ogres!) sounds crazy to me, but then again, at level 10, that's what heroism is, right? Also, it would normally be 3, not six.
I'd would not worry too much about the power of lvl 10 characters. As is, I would not refrain myself as a DM to throw high CR monsters because those character are actually capable, which is a big plus cause it offers more interesting encounter designs.

They have the HP of a lvl 10th character, but the features of a high level one, so bring it, you adult red dragon! Its challenging, but makes for a good fight. You dont have to wait for your players' characters to have 20 HD to have all their toy to leverage in an encounter!

EDIT: the rogue's character sheet is lacking 2 of those little circle to mark proficiency and saves.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd would not worry too much about the power of lvl 10 characters. As is, I would not refrain myself as a DM to throw high CR monsters because those character are actually capable, which is a big plus cause it offers more interesting encounter designs.

They have the HP of a lvl 10th character, but the features of a high level one, so bring it, you adult red dragon! Its challenging, but makes for a good fight. You dont have to wait for your players' characters to have 20 HD to have all their toy to leverage in an encounter!
Agreed. That's why I have some higher than CR10 creatures included. And really, most 5e generic SRD creatures are totally compatible as well, so there shouldn't be any shortage of higher CR monsters

Giant, Storm 13
Vampire 13
Dragon, Adult 14 (an adult is CR14, but I really wanted it to be feasible for a level 10 party)
Golem, Iron 16
Dragon, Ancient 21

Maneuvers (4th level): You
gain advanage on ability
check rolls when attemping a
special maneuver (see Special
Attacks).

I could not find the reference to Special Attacks. Did I miss it or is it missing from the Player's Guide?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I could not find the reference to Special Attacks. Did I miss it or is it missing from the Player's Guide?
Ah! Good catch. Somehow when I was converting everything from the 8.5x11 to 6x9, it got left out. I need to fix that lol

1664122293807.png

Remove ads