D&D General [Bugbears & Borderlands] Full rules text download

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Oh! I had made one more change I forgot to note, because it's easy to miss. I made polearms finesse. Yep, I did that. And if you ask why, this is why:

View attachment 261476
Hmm...

I can't agree with that one. Strength (at least in 5E) is about the application of power, so you can have a STR 20 and not be a muscle-bound bruiser, but you can be lithe or wiry and apply your strength extremely effectively.

This guy, for example, could easily have a STR 16 or 18 IMO.

Also, as a "monk", any monk weapon can benefit from DEX anyway.

I'm not even sure what polearm that is supposed to be...?

But hey, no game can be perfect, after all. ;)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hmm...

I can't agree with that one. Strength (at least in 5E) is about the application of power, so you can have a STR 20 and not be a muscle-bound bruiser, but you can be lithe or wiry and apply your strength extremely effectively.

This guy, for example, could easily have a STR 16 or 18 IMO.

Also, as a "monk", any monk weapon can benefit from DEX anyway.

I'm not even sure what polearm that is supposed to be...?
When you're doing a basic version where a single class needs to cover as many archetypes as possible, you apply some leeway to accomplish that.
But hey, no game can be perfect, after all. ;)
Mine is. Best game evar! And screw Adkison for not seeing that! And I shall call it....Synndibarr, with a Y and two Ns but not where you think they are....

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
When you're doing a basic version where a single class needs to cover as many archetypes as possible, you apply some leeway to accomplish that.
Sure, I get that, so might I suggest an idea I use for 5E? Maybe you can create a variant using your system?

Versatile Weapons. A versatile weapon used with two hands gains either increased damage (as listed on the Weapons Table) or gains the finesse property. The wielder decides which benefit is being used prior to making an attack roll.

Pole-arms, of course, are not Versatile, but quarterstaffs are, so allow non-Monk fighters to benefit from DEX when using them in such a fashion.

Might be too complex for D&D, though...

And screw Adkison for not seeing that! And I shall call it....Synndibarr, with a Y and two Ns but not where you think they are....
This I don't get, though. shrug

Art Waring

halozix.com
Ok I'm back,

I like the simplicity of the layout, I think new players will have no trouble getting into this. I like the E10 level cap, I have run E6 and E12 games and they are a lot of fun, and they keep things easier for the GM who is already doing a lot of work.

Onto some details I noticed.

I think the fighter may have a typo? Combat Veteran and Followers are both gained at level 7, but the class has no lv10 capstone ability, is this a mistake or intentional? Seeing the rest of the classes all have a capstone, I think this was just a typo.

Andvari

Hero
Have you considered removing backgrounds and baking the bonuses into the races? Elf can get Fey and humans Well-rounded, for example. Players have a section less to read and a choice less to worry about when creating a character this way. Characters can of course still have a background - it just isn't regulated by rules.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think the fighter may have a typo? Combat Veteran and Followers are both gained at level 7, but the class has no lv10 capstone ability, is this a mistake or intentional? Seeing the rest of the classes all have a capstone, I think this was just a typo.
No type. At level 10, the fighter gets their third attack, which a significant boost.
Have you considered removing backgrounds and baking the bonuses into the races? Elf can get Fey and humans Well-rounded, for example. Players have a section less to read and a choice less to worry about when creating a character this way. Characters can of course still have a background - it just isn't regulated by rules.
One of the goals is to remove backgrounds/traits from classic racial tropes. It's not an overly complex rule compared to the flexibility it gives players. And it addresses the issues of "all halflings are the same" that we saw in older editions ("Oh, your PC is a halfling? You must be a thief.").

Remove ads