• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a Scout

pawsplay

Hero
Caliban said:
Barbarian is an unnamed bonus to speed. Scout and Dervish speed increases are both enhancement bonuses, and thus would not stack.

Interesting. However, the scout ability is also called fast movement, is it not?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Something from a pre-3.5 source that could be useful for a Scout is the Sparring Dummy of the Master from Arms and Equipment Guide.

You'd need a level of Monk, and access to the Dummy for a bit of down time.

Not really a low-level answer, though :)

Greater Manyshot is potentially another feat to work towards.

-Hyp.

TheNovaLord

First Post
The scout in the party i gm too is a wood elf and just hit level 7 (wood elf gives nice wepaon prof and good stats). He has 18 dex and 17 and 4 other poor stats (and no items to enchance stats thus far). with his STR bow of frost and skirmish he seems to do very well in battle. He is insanely fast and has awesome jump and tumble (18, or more IIRC)> he seems well capable in both melee and missile. The class also seems so much better than a rogue or ranger for getting out of trouble if you have 'scouted' ahead too far. Also has boots spring n striding

Has awful will save but then so do many non spell users.

He is looking forward to 8th to get another point of strength, a feat and then many shot at 9th i think.

JohnD

drexes

First Post
I play a scout (multiclassed with 1 barabarian and a couple fighter levels) in a game. We are up to like 12th level now I think, and I can say this. I love the class, great flavor and the ability to bring something different to the field. As stated above for the melee scout focus toward spring attack, and telling blow, then anything that can get you bang for your buck on a single swing. Also getting hussle (psionic ability) can be truly nasty since you'll already be in position to get whirlwind attack. You can you the hussle extra move action to get into position and then whirlwind attack with the skirmish damage. Just remember to use your mobility to flank your targets since your BAB is a bit lower than a fighter/ranger. Use a weapon that you can wield two-handed for the bonus damage. With a single attack only, you'll want to make it count. Dips into barabrian for the fast move and fighter for the feats are really good too. I don't think ranger is as good a dip personally but it would as well. I saw (either in dragon or somewhere else ) that the barbarian fast move and the scout fast move stack. The faster you move the better because you can use terrain to limit how much enemies can retaliate. Guys in platemail will hate you when you put a boulder or tree in thier path while still standing thirty feet away from them. Oh, I'm sorry can you not charge me now? Just my two cents...

Drexes

Felon

First Post
Klaus said:
Regardless, you should take Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) in place of Dodge (and it counts as Dodge for feat prerequisites). If you move 40´ or more in a round, you gain a flat +2 dodge bonus to AC (none of that Dodge-buddy nonsense). And as soon as you get Fast Movement, 40' is going to be a move-action for you.

Well, I've done this myself. If you're doing melee, provoking attacks of opportunity becomes a problem when you try to move 40 feet. If you tumble, you're probably moving half-speed (unless you're a fairly high-level tumbler). Mobility is a big help.

It seems to be popular for scouts to focus on ranged attacks over melee. Exotic Weapon Proficiency with halfling skiprocks and the warsling (both also from Races of the Wild) allows two shots to be popped off as a standard action.

The Master Thrower Prestige class grants multiple options for turning a standard action into multiple attacks. The Order of the Bow Initiate makes it possible for a single attack to inflict impressive damage.

Felon

First Post
AZNtrogdor said:
Quoted for Truth

The ability to apply skirmish damage to each arrow in the manyshot is a huge asset.

Really would love to see that feat appear somewhere other than the SRD and psionics handbook. It's not like it has anything in particular to do with psionics.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Felon said:
Really would love to see that feat appear somewhere other than the SRD and psionics handbook. It's not like it has anything in particular to do with psionics.

Well, the [General] tag affirms that, so regardless of its location, its still usable by a Ftr-6...

-Hyp.

Remove ads