Building Eberron (Using non-Eberron books)

Rystil Arden

First Post
drothgery said:
Any chance of a shorter review period for Eberron-specific material, or are we going to use a flat six months for everything?
The six-month period was created specifically for Eberron material--I only abstracted it to also include the others too. If you like, we could make them longer.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
The six-month period was created specifically for Eberron material--I only abstracted it to also include the others too. If you like, we could make them longer.

6 months is fine for all :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
byronhicks said:
Just to throw another kink in the works:

As characters advance what PrCs will be legal? Same books?
If the whole book has been accepted, any PrC in it is fair game. If the PrC in that book is, its also okay. Otherwise, propose it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
In Dragon 332, Keith Baker talks about just that. You can see an example build using those traits (changes cold iron to beyshk and gives access to voice of madness) here.
Poor Rayni :D Maybe if she thinks she's a Wizard hard enough, it'll go away :lol:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
We ever looking beyond WotC? Dragon Compendium is a nice book.
The problem is that (in my opinion), we don't want to allow anything that combines large amounts of material with limited distribution amongst our members. If the Judges are a good sampling of LEB (and we may not be), then Spell Compendium does not have a high enough penetration either to just wholesale allow it

Side discussion: What is high enough penetration? Opinions may vary. In my opinion, we want a good majority of people who would use it to have it. The Completes have that much penetration, in my eyes--anyone who doesn't own those is almost certainly a "Core for me only--grrrrr!" person for whom it doesn't matter. Thus anything balanced in the Completes is a good idea. Also, older non-niche Eberron books, assuming Eberron fandom since this is after all LEB, are in that category too. PHII has some of the most well-designed things I've seen from WotC in a while, *and* it has the PH name on it to get people to buy it, so in 6 months, that may also enter the list. Plus from any of these most people would be taking a thing or two, probably (unless they played a whole base class out of the book, which is a different story). But when it comes to something big like Spell Compendium, which has more spells by a significant margin than the SRD does, we are putting 100% of all spellcasting characters whose players don't have access to that book at a colossal disadvantage if we just vote it in)

Okay sidetrack over. Anyways, the good thing about Dragon Compendium, though, is that it has things that can be proposed piecemeal. We will be sceptical about allowing material from a low penetration source, even piecemeal, since we don't want to have enough of it to inconvenience players without access to obscure books (plus we want to preserve the Eberron fluff by not kitchen-sinking, as Hellcow pointed out in his post that Bront quoted). I would say that if we did accept something someone was dying to play from a low-penetration book, it would be at the caveat that someone might e-mail the proposer and ask for info if they also thought it was totally cool.

Patlin

Explorer
Random Plug: Spell compendium is AWESOME. You should pick it up.

The convenience factor alone of having a zillion spells between two covers rather than trying to remember where a particular spell comes from is great. Also, if you're like me, you probably have less than half the books it compiles spells from, so there will be a lot of new material for you. :)

Ferrix

Explorer
Patlin said:
Random Plug: Spell compendium is AWESOME. You should pick it up.

The convenience factor alone of having a zillion spells between two covers rather than trying to remember where a particular spell comes from is great. Also, if you're like me, you probably have less than half the books it compiles spells from, so there will be a lot of new material for you. :)

Second the plug, it's an incredibly useful book. I hate wading through a number of different books just to pick out a spell here, a spell there. SC puts it one nice, easily accessible place.

Remove ads