Burst / blast?

frankthedm

First Post
Some fire sprites from the golden axe game.

Wizard is from King Of Dragons
Kobold is from Eye of the Beholder
Blast 2 and Burst 1 are the Explosions of a Doom Lost Soul
Daemon is a RPG Maker 2 sprite

Attachments

• Dragons.gif
    Dragons.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Man, whoever picked those names needs a whack with the clue-bat. I foresee a LOT of confusion between "blast" and "burst." And since blasts seem to be measured by diameter but bursts are measured by radius, it'll actually matter.

When choosing names, do not pick two names that a) start with the same letter, b) end with the same two letters, c) are both one syllable long, d) are the same length, e) have very similar meanings, and f) will be used in the same context.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Dausuul said:
When choosing names, do not pick two names that a) start with the same letter, b) end with the same two letters, c) are both one syllable long, d) are the same length, e) have very similar meanings, and f) will be used in the same context.
Yeah, I suffered from that already during some discussions. Followed by some facepalms. *sigh*

What about explosion and blast? Explosion too long? Then what about: Burst and wave? :\

Cheers, LT.

I was worried about this too, originally. But I've found that, once people have played with the new rules a bit, it actually turns out to be a non-issue. Sort of like the 247 different meanings of the word "level." ;)

Which isn't to say that it might not've been better to use more distinct terms. It very well might. I'm just saying it hasn't proven to be a big hindrance, IME.

Dausuul

Legend
Lord Tirian said:
Yeah, I suffered from that already during some discussions. Followed by some facepalms. *sigh*

What about explosion and blast? Explosion too long? Then what about: Burst and wave? :\

Cheers, LT.

How about "blast" and "radius?"

Dausuul

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
I was worried about this too, originally. But I've found that, once people have played with the new rules a bit, it actually turns out to be a non-issue. Sort of like the 247 different meanings of the word "level." ;)

Which isn't to say that it might not've been better to use more distinct terms. It very well might. I'm just saying it hasn't proven to be a big hindrance, IME.

Hmm, that's reassuring. How experienced is your group? Are they all hardcore gamers, or do you have some newbies in the mix?

Dausuul said:
Hmm, that's reassuring. How experienced is your group? Are they all hardcore gamers, or do you have some newbies in the mix?

We range from mega-hardcore gamers who have been playing regularly for decades, to experienced gamers who have been playing on and off for at least four or five years. No newbies, I fear, which may indeed suggest that my take on the issue isn't universally applicable. :heh:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Dausuul said:
How about "blast" and "radius?"
Radius actually sounds pretty technical and bland, at least IMHO. What about "Burst" and "Sweep"?

"Sweep" doesn't make you think of a centre and radius...

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads