Burst / blast?

Reaper Steve

Explorer
erf_beto said:
Strangely, though, the new DDM game still have cones (divided into small and large pre-set templates, but still...)

My guess is that DDM 2.0 was done before 4E had the revelation about burst and blast.

I read somwhere that WotC plans on doing a new DDM starter every year. My money is on the next DDM iteration to use 4E's burst/blast.

I certainly hope so... I really dislike the new cones for DDM, especially the inability to fire one with center of mass directly forward. Burst/blast, while square is a much simpler, flexible, and ultimately more satisfying method than those cones IMO.

Stogoe

First Post
What about 3e's Cover and Concealment? Seriously, guys, Burst/Blast are specific game terms; you'll get used to them in no time.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Stogoe said:
What about 3e's Cover and Concealment?
Well, Cover and Concealment are pretty self-explanatory - you'll never confuse the concepts, because the words themselves are having certain English denotations.

Blast and Burst, however... are pretty similar, and the words themselves have very similar meanings, and don't convey being very different in game terms.

Cheers, LT.

arghost

First Post
Actually, according to New Oxford American Dictionary the normal english interpretation of these words make perfect sense according to game mechanics:

burst
an instance of breaking or splitting as a result of internal pressure or puncturing; an explosion.

blast
1 a destructive wave of highly compressed air spreading outward from an explosion

Lord Tirian said:
Well, Cover and Concealment are pretty self-explanatory - you'll never confuse the concepts, because the words themselves are having certain English denotations.

Blast and Burst, however... are pretty similar, and the words themselves have very similar meanings, and don't convey being very different in game terms.

Cheers, LT.

pinbot

First Post
burst is usually fruity, blast is typically minty

okay, seriously, I agree they are bad terms. D&D has a pretty math friendly following. Diameter and radius would have been dandy.

Mort_Q

First Post
pinbot said:
burst is usually fruity, blast is typically minty

okay, seriously, I agree they are bad terms. D&D has a pretty math friendly following. Diameter and radius would have been dandy.

Dandy, but not better. Which one is burst and which one is blast?

[sblock=my guess]My guess radius is burst and diameter in blast?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Stogoe

First Post
Lord Tirian said:

They have these denotations in your mind only because D&D 3rd Edition used them in that specific way. Otherwise they're pretty interchangeable.

Covered by mist.

Concealed by the wall.

These only sound incorrect because of your years of playing D&D.

Torchlyte

First Post
Stogoe said:
They have these denotations in your mind only because D&D 3rd Edition used them in that specific way. Otherwise they're pretty interchangeable.

Covered by mist.

Concealed by the wall.

These only sound incorrect because of your years of playing D&D.

This is correct.

I agree that burst/sweep would be better than burst/blast, but it's not really feasible to try and houserule it.

ZetaStriker

First Post
I thought Burst/Blast weren't too bad, name-wise. They sound very different when spoken, after all, and their meanings also match their types. I knew right from the start which was which without having to look at the PrC.

Remove ads