Campaign Websites - Fair Use?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I'm neither advocating nor defending. The Barsoom site is illegal and I think my initial post was pretty clear on that. You should always ask. I didn't because there's a million pictures and most of them I don't even know who owns the copyright -- the pictures were taken from the many many MASSIVE "image archive" sites around the web, so in many cases I don't even know who the artists were. It would be a large amount of effort to track down the copyright owner in every case (heck, in just one case) and try to get their permission -- for the Barsoom site it's just not worth the effort to me.

Somebody doesn't like it they can tell me so. Till then I'll quite happily break the law.

Not saying it's okay. Saying it's wrong. Going ahead and doing it anyway, and reporting that so far I've had no problems. Other people can take from that whatever they like.

Course, now that I've posted in this thread, I'll probably get half-a-dozen lawsuits slapped against me tomorrow. :D

mojo1701

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I'm neither advocating nor defending. The Barsoom site is illegal and I think my initial post was pretty clear on that. You should always ask. I didn't because there's a million pictures and most of them I don't even know who owns the copyright -- the pictures were taken from the many many MASSIVE "image archive" sites around the web, so in many cases I don't even know who the artists were. It would be a large amount of effort to track down the copyright owner in every case (heck, in just one case) and try to get their permission -- for the Barsoom site it's just not worth the effort to me.

Somebody doesn't like it they can tell me so. Till then I'll quite happily break the law.

Not saying it's okay. Saying it's wrong. Going ahead and doing it anyway, and reporting that so far I've had no problems. Other people can take from that whatever they like.

Only Experience I've had with this type of things is Star Wars Fan Films. I haven't posted mine as of yet, but there are certain legal issues. However, Fan Films (SW ones for sure, don't know about the rest, but I have seen Matrix ones) are allowed as long as no profit is made, and proper recognition is made, such as "Based on Star Wars Created by George Lucas" type of thing, but this is a website and why I'm responding is beyond me...

Remove ads