• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Camping Equipment Required for Long Rest Houserule

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Hello,

I'm running a game in which weather (including daily high and low temperature) is generated randomly. I use temperature descriptors such as hot, warm, mild, chilly, and cold. I'm also using the Gritty Realism rest variant, but I think what I have here could apply to default resting just as well. The question arose (in part because we're using the Encumbrance variant) whether there was a benefit to carrying a bedroll as opposed to a blanket or just sleeping on the ground. Here's what I came up with based on some quick internet research. Let me know what you think.
  • Down to 60 degrees fahrenheit (mild weather and above), only a blanket is required to get the benefit of a long rest when sleeping outdoors.
  • In chilly weather (32 - 59 degrees), you need either a bedroll, or a blanket and a shelter or a campfire.
  • In cold weather (1 - 31 degrees), you need either a bedroll and a shelter or campfire, or a blanket, a shelter, and a campfire.
  • In extreme cold (0 degrees and below), you need a bedroll, a shelter, and a campfire.
A shelter can be constructed from available materials with a Survival check, is mandatory in rainy conditions, and negates windchill. A tent provides shelter without a check.

A campfire also depends on available material.

On a related note, I'm allowing traveler's clothes to serve as cold weather gear for the purpose of extreme cold.

Oofta

Legend
I'm not sure you need even a blanket in mild weather. A cloak or improvised cover (leaves, grass, etc) should suffice.

In addition, a snow cave can actually be quite cozy just from body heat and a candle. Certainly warm enough that you don't have to have any extra equipment (although it doesn't hurt).

So a lot of it could just be handled with a survival check, although weather (particularly rain) and environment is going to have a big impact.

So I'd probably set survival check DCs with modifiers. In mild weather or with proper equipment it may be as low as a 5 (and probably no roll required if anyone is trained) or as high as you think makes sense given other environmental factors.

That gives you more flexibility to set up appropriate scenarios ... everything from soaking rain turning to sleet and ice to the group starts out wet (+5 to DC) so they have options to try to find a cave or shelter and so on. Maybe can start a fire (-5 DC) but that has a chance to be spotted and triggering random encounters.

I'd have to play around with the DCs and bonuses, but that's the approach I'd take.

Let us know how it works no matter what you do!

Nebulous

Legend
I don't know if you want this house rule or not, but I've introduced 4 phases of LONG REST (8 hours during a 24 hour period) to my CoS game. I haven't used it much so I might still tweak it some.

Good Rest = a very safe environment, a bed (or equivalent), good shelter, food and water; all HP, ALL Hit Dice, 2 levels Exhaustion, all spells.

Average Rest = Default D&D

Poor Rest = PCs are unsafe, environment is hostile, danger lurks, uneasy sleep, woken frequently, etc (DM discretion); 3/4 hit points (so if you have 100 normally, you can't get more than 75), 1/2 HD (as normal, but you might need to spend them immediately), if you have Exhaustion (disadvantage on ability checks) you have to make a DC 10 Con check or you do not regain 1 level of Exhaustion. All spell slots (or alternatively, lose 1 random spell slot due to muddled thinking)

No Rest = Essentially captured or otherwise denied any rest; severe weather or environmental effects; 1/2 HP, 1 HD, lose half spell slots, and Exhaustion can accrue at the DMs discretion if denied food and water to the point of death.

I have found so far that it makes the PCs really think twice about the quality of Rest they are looking for, as it can have a dramatic impact on them. The PCs had a Poor Rest in Death House, camping inside, and it had a detrimental effect on them going forward. Ghosts screeched all night and the walls shook with rats.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I have a similar rule: If there is precipitation, you must have a shelter (e.g. a tent) in order to gain the benefits of a long rest.
In my house rule, if the weather was severe enough, I would use the No Rest phase, denying them much of anything, but a little, but would accrue more Exhaustion.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would abstract this some, and make it a relatively easy Survival roll, so that the ranger and outlanders can get some value out of their choices.

Pleasant warm weather might be a Survival 5 roll, weather that requires a shelter would be a Survival 10 roll, "bad weather" a Survival 15 roll and "terrible weather" (all of which would vary by climate and time of year) would be a Survival 20 roll.

Give disadvantage on the roll if the group doesn't have the proper equipment.

This way, the rangers and outlanders can cobble something together, as needed, and show off how good they are in the wilderness, but there's a reward for having gear.

Dioltach

Legend
How can you have a list of necessary camping equipment that doesn't include the Handpresso?

On a (slightly) more serious note, I once ran a campaign set in Celtic Ireland. The default weather was rain. Once every few sessions I mentioned a great firey ball in the sky - the general consensus was that it was probably some kind of dragon.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I decry the lack of a 15' x 15' mesh dining tent, an essential Glamping item. But maybe not for sleeping.

In general I like the idea, It's probably a little involved for my personal tastes, but I think it either needs to be that way or no one will bother with the gear. It does have the great benefit of not including much rolling, and some options, which I think is perfect. I like reasons to bother with encumbrance, and this seems workable.

Bupp

Adventurer
In my current game I ruled that you needed a bed to get the benefits of a long rest. In the wild, sleeping for the night only gives you the benefit of a short rest.

Remove ads