• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can a two weapon Fighter cast magic (Eldritch Knight)?

Hi All,

Can a two weapon Fighter cast magic (Eldritch Knight)?
If not, what's a Fighter's option to conviniently cast magic (somatic) while weilding two weapons?

Thanks!

Last edited:

EvanNave55

Explorer
It depends if it requires a somatic (and possibly material) component. If it does have somatic no, but if you can pick spells that don't have somatic components it should be fine.
Other than specifically taking spells without the somatic component or the DM creating some sort of special magic item and/or class feature in whcih you can just channel magic through the sword without needing somatic components (old versions of magus had something like this I believe) there isn't any way to do it.

First option: At the start of your turn, drop one weapon (a free action). Next, cast the spell (using your Action). Finally, pick up the weapon off the ground (using your Free Object Interaction).

Second option: At the start of your turn, drop one weapon (using your Free Object Interaction). Next, cast the spell (using your Action). Finally, teleport the bonded weapon from the ground into your hand (using your Bonus Action). THis is useful if the GM decides that dropping a weapon is not a free action (which is a fair call - one could argue that it takes attention to drop a weapon so it doesn't damage you or it).

Third option: Take the War Caster feat. This is useful when option 1 is not an option. For example, when you are flying.

Shiroiken

Legend
If Feats are available, the War Caster Feat allows you to cast without Somatic Components. Considering the EK's 7th level ability to attack as a Bonus Action after casting a cantrip, TWF doesn't seem like a strong option anyway due to overlap.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
For extra style points, use a weapon with the Thrown property.

On your turn: hurl javelin into enemy. "Here, hold this!"
Next turn: cast spell. Ideally, a Thunderwave that blasts your impaled target over a cliff. Then use a bonus action to teleport weapon out of enemy and back into your hand.

Easiest way:
ROUND 1 stowe your weapon with free Objekt interaction cast spell.
ROUND 2 cast spell draw it again.

THis might or might not work in your game. I have had GMs require Use An Object to stow a weapon safely, working on the assumption that the free object interaction is only for very simple actions. Drawing a weapon is a simple action; putting it away without hurting yourself is not simple.

I would also disallow such an action juggling. You are possibly right about stowing a weapon being complicated in combat. I also rule picking up a weapon while being cough on melee take an action

ko6ux

Adventurer
First option: At the start of your turn, drop one weapon (a free action). Next, cast the spell (using your Action). Finally, pick up the weapon off the ground (using your Free Object Interaction).

I don't think this option works, RAW. You only get one "free" action every turn which you combine with your movement or another action. If you use the action to drop your weapon you can't then use another "free" action to pick it up on the same turn.

Option number 2 works though.

EDIT: As long as you don't care about burning your bonus action anyway.

Last edited:

I don't think this option works, RAW. You only get one "free" action every turn which you combine with your movement or another action. If you use the action to drop your weapon you can't then use another "free" action to pick it up on the same turn.

It depends on the GM. I've had GMs rule that opening your hand and simply letting the held item drop, with no care for how or where it falls, costs nothing. I've also had GMS rule that it uses the Free Object Interaction. Either ruling seems fine to me, as long as the GM lets players know beforehand.

Remove ads