• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a warmage benefit from Extra Spell?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Shin Okada said:
Also, the feat does not grant you the ability to cast a spell which your class cannot usually cast.

Which works when you're ruling on wizards.

But not sorcerers - that 'primarily' trips you up ;)

-Hyp.

Aaron L

Hero
The only thing is, I would think that if it was meant to give you the pretty nice ability to cast spells from another classes spell list, then it would specifically spell it out.

Corsair

First Post
^^ Agreed. Especially since the original version in Tome and Blood specifically said "from your spell list", this leads me to believe it is an editting oversight. (like the DMG not specifically stating that PrC's were exempt from XP penalties for multiclassing)

Krafen

First Post
ForceUser said:
Okay, here it is. Warmage with Arcane Disciple (Protection domain). Sanctuary, Protection from Energy, Spell Immunity, Spell Resistance, Antimagic Field, Repulsion, Mind Blank, and Prismatic Sphere. All for a single feat--all added to the warmage spell list, all capable of being cast just like any other warmage spell (at will in any combination, up to the #/day).

Yeah. Sign me up. :D

Yes, the protection domain is nice. The feat specifies, however, "Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domain spells of each level".

Sejs

First Post
Don't forget, Arcane Disciple requires you to have the Wis to cast the spells you're gaining, and likewise uses Wis as their casting stat for save DCs and such.

It's nice, but it's not a free lunch.

brehobit

Explorer
Sejs said:
Don't forget, Arcane Disciple requires you to have the Wis to cast the spells you're gaining, and likewise uses Wis as their casting stat for save DCs and such.

It's nice, but it's not a free lunch.
Yep,
It actually takes a lot of work to make arcane disciple work for a warmage. Warmages have 2 real dump stats (STR and WIS) and taking this feat brings you to just STR, which is a pretty horrible thing to have for your dump stat... You also have to have 4 ranks in knowledge (religion), which is cross class (in addition to 4 ranks in spellcraft which isn't a big deal), so you can't really do this in a pure warmage until level 6 and you are blowing 8 of your very limited skill points on what will likely be a fairly worthless skill.

To answer the original poster's question, a reasonable house-rule is that you can add any one evokation spell from the wizard list. But that is clearly a house rule. RAW I'd say a warmage gains nothing from the feat....

Tarangil

First Post
:D Instead you could try a warmage with classes in Cleric also, until you get to go the Mystic Theurge way. I've been playing with this possibility and it looks rather nasssty.

Staffan

Legend
IIRC, the warmage gets the ability to add a handful of evocation spells other than the ones that are already on his list to it. I would allow Extra Spell to add another evocation spell.

Remove ads