D&D (2024) Can we have the sorcerer fixed now? (Plz, I beg you n_n°)

Clint_L

Hero
I mean...if either class was on the chopping block it would be sorcerers, not wizards, so I don't think we wanna go that route. And they sure as heck are not getting rid of an OG stat like Intelligence (plus, speaking as an old guy, intelligence and wisdom...not the same thing). Wizards work pretty okay. It's sorcerers that need help.

Clint_L

Hero
Though, in the spirit of backwards compatibility and the minor tinkering that seems to be on the table for 1D&D, just adding some really good, class exclusive spells for sorcerers would go a long way.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Though, in the spirit of backwards compatibility and the minor tinkering that seems to be on the table for 1D&D, just adding some really good, class exclusive spells for sorcerers would go a long way.
And some more thematic spells for the different subclasses.

Mephista

Adventurer
I think, based on the origins video and the UA, they're actually eliminating individual class lists for sorcerer, wizard and warlock and merging them into that one Arcane list.

Probably still have individual subclass lists, but... I think base wizards and base sorcerers will use the same list

Haplo781

Legend
I think, based on the origins video and the UA, they're actually eliminating individual class lists for sorcerer, wizard and warlock and merging them into that one Arcane list.

Probably still have individual subclass lists, but... I think base wizards and base sorcerers will use the same list
There is no indication of this. The Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists appear to be for things like Magic Initiate.

There really weren't any "class-specific" spells in 5e, magic initiate and the bard killed that idea from the PHB on, and I don't see that changing in 1D&D. What they could do is give every sorcerer subclass a table like the wild magic sorcerer, and have something dragon-y, stormy, or shadowy happen when you can activate the table.

Unless they move the sorcerer to the primal magic list. It would help even out things: Primal is sorcerers, druids, and rangers; arcane is wizards, warlocks, and bards; and divine is clerics and paladins and maybe the monk. It also means that sorcerers aren't directly competing with wizards (something that WotC tried in 4e and the 5e playtest).

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I have been summoned!

But seriously, I think themed spell lists can go a long way. I also like the Tasha's option to be able to switch out one known spell for a different one once per long rest, allowing you to really tune in your spell selection without feeling penalized for taking a spell that doesn't quite work in the way you'd like.

I also agree that sorcery points are... less than ideal. Compared to a Wizard, it has the exact same spell slot creation power as a wizard's arcane recovery. Sure, it's more flexible in that you can create the spell slots as needed whereas the Wizard has to wait for a long rest, but it ALSO fuels metamagic on top of that. But I don't know how to really fix that.

One thing I think could be interesting regarding metamagic would be to have a certain number of metamagic slots, and you prepare which metamagic you have access to for the day. That give the sorcerer some more flexibility, and as you level you can get more slots to have more metamagic options available.
I do agree that a themed spell list is great, but it should be done as the Warlock. The reason it’s optional is due to the number of limited spells known. I would prefer to increase number known (such as 20 or 22) and offer theme spells as optional choices.

Mephista

Adventurer
There is no indication of this. The Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists appear to be for things like Magic Initiate.
The UA doc says, "In future Unearthed Arcana articles, we'll show how Classes use these lists and how a Class or Subclass might gain spells from another list." Emphasis mine.

I can't see any way of interpreting this other than Classes use one of these lists for their spells, with an option to maybe get more from elsewhere. Which implies that this replaces class lists to me. I mean, that's one way to solve discrepency between spell classes.
Unless they move the sorcerer to the primal magic list. It would help even out things: Primal is sorcerers, druids, and rangers; arcane is wizards, warlocks, and bards; and divine is clerics and paladins and maybe the monk. It also means that sorcerers aren't directly competing with wizards (something that WotC tried in 4e and the 5e playtest).
Sure, the Sorcerer wouldn't be competing against the Wizard anymore, but then the class would just be in direct competion with the Druid instead, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Haplo781

Legend
The UA doc says, "In future Unearthed Arcana articles, we'll show how Classes use these lists and how a Class or Subclass might gain spells from another list." Emphasis mine.

I can't see any way of interpreting this other than Classes use one of these lists for their spells, with an option to maybe get more from elsewhere. Which implies that this replaces class lists to me. I mean, that's one way to solve discrepency between spell classes.

Sure, the Sorcerer wouldn't be competing against the Wizard anymore, but then the class would just be in direct competion with the Druid instead, wouldn't it?
There is zero chance bards get fireball. None.

Mephista

Adventurer
Then kindly explain what that line from the UA means, please. Because it seems to be indicating that.

I mean, it'd be good for the Sorcerer too, because no more wizards automatically being better spellcasters by virtue of a more comprehensive list. So that's one thing.

Remove ads