D&D (2024) Can we have the sorcerer fixed now? (Plz, I beg you n_n°)

OB1

Jedi Master
Late to the party, but thought I'd put my two coppers in. I think the sorcerer can be fixed with just 2 changes.

1. Sorcerers gain access to ALL metamagics at 2nd level. The metamagics they pick reduce the sorcery point cost by 1 for that metamagic. (may need to change the point cost for a couple of metamagics to 2 for this to balance)
2. Add Eschew Components as a metamagic. Costs 1 point if no material cost, 3 points if there is a material cost.

Now the sorcerer is able to use metamagic every single turn, while gaining access to sculpt their spells in other ways by spending sorcery points when necessary. The metamagics you choose to have the cost reduced by 1 now define you as a sorcerer. See your sorcerer as the type that magic just comes out of? Take Subtle and Eschew Components. Want to be a blaster for all situations? Take Empowered or Careful with Transmuted. And so on and so forth.

Note that option 1 I've had as a house rule for years. Only had 1 sorcerer in any of my games, but she loved it and it didn't seem to break anything or make her OP.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
While I feel they should be INT based, I can certainly see them being WIS based more than CHA based. All the more reason to make them a separate class. Wizard = INT Arcane casters, Psion = WIS Arcane casters, and Sorcerer = CHA Arcane casters.
The problem with a Psion subclass in my opinion is that it's difficult to find the right class for it. Psions scream "brain power" to me, so it would be more appropriate for them to be INT based like a Wizard, rather than CHA based. But Psionic powers aren't learned from study books; they're inherent in you from birth like a Sorcerer. WotC went one way by making the Aberrant Mind a Sorcerer sublass. I went the other way and made my Psion a Wizard subclass that eschews the spellbook and needing to prepare spells.

The ideal solution would be to make the Psion a separate class, but not like the Mystic UA. More like porting over the 3.5e Psion that I loved to play back in the day. But, I've probably hijacked this Sorcerer thread enough with my Psion rambling.
Whereas to me, Psion screams WIS based since many of its powers pertain to willpower, extrasensory perception, intuition, mysticism, insight, feelings, etc. rather than intelligence, education, knowledge, or logic.
Why not just divorce classes from a single Primary ability score?

Fighters and Rangers (and anyone else training in weapons) already can use either STR or DEX for their primary attacking ability.
Could we have bookish Pact of the Tome INTlocks? What about Psionic SorcerINTs?

I get that Dexterity is broken, but it's already a viable option for Fighters and Rangers instead of Strength. Would it be that broken to let Sorcerers choose which casting ability they use at 1st level?

Some classes don't make sense for this - Bards should be CHA, Clerics and Druids WIS, Wizards and Artificers INT. But I could see (and have seen) WIS Paladins, CHA Rangers (animal handling focused?), and the afformentioned Sorcerers and Warlocks… I could even see WIS Sorcerers occupying a Shamanistic role, having made pacts with Primal Spirits or the Animals walking in their dreams…

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Some classes don't make sense for this - Bards should be CHA, Clerics and Druids WIS, Wizards and Artificers INT.
On the contrary, I think even some of these make sense. Divination and Illusion wizards would use INT... but if you are an Enchanter and deal with charms? A CHA wizard makes all the sense in the world. Necromancy deals with life and death, so you could certainly go in the WIS wizard direction. On the flip side... while Life, Grave and Nature Clerics could obviously stick with WIS... your Arcana and Knowledge Clerics could easily be INT-based and Trickery domain could go CHA.

Would it be a bit of a change? Sure. Does it make a bit of sense? I believe so. Would I be upset if they didn't change it? Nope. This is one of those things that they could keep it either way and I'd be fine with it. Because if I really felt I needed to have it the other way that they choose, I could just make the change for myself in my own home game.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
On the contrary, I think even some of these make sense. Divination and Illusion wizards would use INT... but if you are an Enchanter and deal with charms? A CHA wizard makes all the sense in the world. Necromancy deals with life and death, so you could certainly go in the WIS wizard direction. On the flip side... while Life, Grave and Nature Clerics could obviously stick with WIS... your Arcana and Knowledge Clerics could easily be INT-based and Trickery domain could go CHA.

Would it be a bit of a change? Sure. Does it make a bit of sense? I believe so. Would I be upset if they didn't change it? Nope. This is one of those things that they could keep it either way and I'd be fine with it. Because if I really felt I needed to have it the other way that they choose, I could just make the change for myself in my own home game.
In that case, I'd suggest the following:

STR & DEX deal with weapon attacks. If you use a weapon, you use one of these.
CON deals with HP. Everyone wants this to an extent.
INT, WIS, CHA are mental abilities. Casters pick one of these and stick with it for their entire class.

No need to force people to choose one of them.

Initiative should be separated from DEX.

Ultimately then, the main differentiating factor is for ability checks made (and the skills the modify them; but even then, you could divorce a skill prof from an ability, like Intimidation skill bonus to a STR check made to do something intimidating with your hulking bod).

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
So can situational awareness (Wisdom) or just having a good head on your shoulders (Int).
Or muscular strength, for that matter.

It might be hard to justify for some abilities. But perhaps it should just be Prof+ with a flat bonus to it and possibility of increasing with feat choice…

DEX as is is an outlier that is overly useful.

Remove ads