• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cancelling a session / not attending a session.

Sammael

Adventurer
The game I played in with the sick GM wasn't as good as if he hadn't been sick, but it was certainly better than him cancelling. And oviously he knew he wasn't contagious anymore, he wasn't 'coughing and hacking'. :hmm:
If the GM wanted to run the game, all the power to him. But if he felt forced because of some sort of a social contract that you seem to imply exists between the GM and the players... that was not so nice.

One thing I don't get is the sense of entitlement. The GM has to do all the work for the game, often spending hours upon hours pouring over notes, prepping encounters, and reading source materials. On the other hand, all the players have to do is - show up for the game. Now, a GM who likes his job will certainly try to avoid cancellations, and will want to run the games to please his players even if he's not running them at an optimum. But if a GM wants to cancel the game for whatever reason, unless it's at the very last minute, I think he is at the full rights to do so. After all, he's losing more than the players are.

Crothian

First Post
I love playing witrh adults. We get excuses like the kids sick or the wife needs time to study for her GRE. Gaming is a priority for us, it is not the number one priority and it shouldn't be but I like it when the players want to be there and it's not just for when they have nothing better. I don't miss the excuses of I was drunk or the cops wouldn't let me leave. The reasons I've gotten were things like "need to drive my father in law to the hospital" and illness and "wife has roller durber so I have to take care of the kids."

Barastrondo

First Post
Gaming is a priority for us, it is not the number one priority and it shouldn't be but I like it when the players want to be there and it's not just for when they have nothing better.

Yes, exactly. The best game is one where everyone wants to be there, but nobody treats it like a job, and nobody expects another player (or even the GM) to treat it like a job. Where everyone is understanding enough about a cancellation because you're all friends, but everyone also will go a little out of their way to play, circumstances permitting, because you're all friends.

A

amerigoV

This is the GM we're talking about. He left his players in the lurch because he apparently scheduled his hot date for when he already had a game scheduled.

If I were a player in his group I'd be looking for a different GM.

But obviously mileages vary - 20 years ago in high school when I was playing D&D every day, it wouldn't be a big deal. Now that it means half my gaming for the month, a GM cancelling without good notice is a very big deal.

Read my original post - the player in question missed my cancelling it. He was given notice but either forgot or failed to pick up the message - not too short of notice, if I recall - but it has been about 10 years.

Although I value gaming, lovin' definately comes first! ;)
(and yes, it was worth it too!)

Even on short notice, I would not begrudge my DM such a boon - a happy DM is more likely to give out phat l00t the next session.

S'mon

Legend
Read my original post - the player in question missed my cancelling it. He was given notice but either forgot or failed to pick up the message - not too short of notice, if I recall - but it has been about 10 years.

Well, that's not so bad. :)

To the person posting above about 'player sense of entitlement' - it's funny, I GM over 90% of the time and it's usually me that's ranting about 'player sense of entitlement' on ENW! For me it's not about player SOE, it's about the GM's Sense of Duty to the six or seven people who have put aside their weekend to travel to play in his game. If I flaked off a game every time I got nervous or had second thoughts, or had a bit of a cold, I wouldn't have a game. The fact is, I go to the game however I feel, and 95%*+ of the time I enjoy myself, and my players do too.

*Recently more like 100%.

EnochSeven

Explorer
I'd say it's roughly the same as canceling or not showing up for any other group event... like a BBQ or a basketball game. Once in a while is ok, but if it happens often you might start looking for someone who is more reliable.

I like this answer for most groups.

Fortunately in my two groups we play weekly games and it's not a big deal when we cancel one.

We target every week, but it ends up being about 3 out of 4.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
I think awesomeocalypse nailed it perfectly with:

my group tends to take the tack that "real life trumps gaming, but gaming trumps other fun or laziness."
I bailed mid-session as a PC when we found out my wife was pregnant, and we went a good two months between sessions I DM'ed when we lost the baby. My players understood, and frankly, if they didn't, I don't think I'd want to play with them.

Our other DM has run shortened sessions at the last minute, and has canceled for a given session a few days in advance on "I'm too stressed at work to be creative in D&D" grounds. Our group would rather play a good session than "force" a bad one, and we're generally pretty cool with simply punting to alternate entertainment if need be.

Players have missed anywhere from last minute (work), late (multiple), to day before (sick) to weeks before (planned trip).

Its not generally a problem: we're all adults, we've all got jobs. D&D is about fun for the entire group, not "duty" or "obligation" to the other players.

Mercule

Adventurer
As DM, I cancelled a session due to a date with a hot redhead. One player did not get the message and showed up shortly before the lady...he understood when I kicked him to the curb.
When I was in high school or college, we had one of the guys turn down a date because it would have conflicted with a scheduled game. I can't remember whether he was allowed to play that particular night or not, but it was made fairly clear that anyone who passed up a real date for the game would not be allowed to play the game, anyway. Priorities, man.

Currently, we're in the early stages of building a house -- soliciting quotes, looking for land, meeting with various contractors. I've canceled a game without a second thought because game night was the time that worked best for a meeting. I've also done it because of a program at my daughter's school. I even did it once when my eldest had an insane amount of homework that was fairly hard and just needed a lot of help (my wife is one of the players, so I couldn't just hand-off to her).

I do not like canceling a game. I especially do not like canceling on short notice. I agree that the GM is pretty much like the host of an event. Even if the game isn't at the GM's house, it can't go on without him.

But, stuff comes up, especially as you get older and have careers, families, etc. If something else is a higher priority to you, then you need to cancel. That cancellation should be handled in a mature and respectful fashion, though, whether you're a player or GM.

If you have enough "higher priorities" that the game (or attendance, for players) becomes erratic and unreliable, then you may have to step up and face that the game isn't a high enough priority and you need to pull the plug, permanently. That's part of handling things maturely and respectfully. Where, exactly, that line is depends upon the group. I've been in groups that demanded a twice-weekly game and would bend their collective schedules to ensure that happened. I've also been in groups that was peachy with a monthly game. Sometimes the only way to determine the collective priority is to have the conversation.

IMO, though, it's not okay for a player or GM to cancel on a game session to go out bar-hopping (other than for a birthday party or some such), a guild raid on WoW, because they want to see a movie, etc. Yes, gaming is just another hobby, and there's nothing wrong with having higher priorities, but it's also a commitment to the rest of the "team" and, generally, something that can be planned for. Either block the game time off as "busy" for purposes of general recreation, or don't. "Tentative" is rude.

A

amerigoV

Well, that's not so bad. :)

Glad we could come to agreement. :)

I game Sunday nights now. My wife* is always amazed that the gamers are quite willing to get together even on a holiday (Easter, for instance).

*not the hot redhead, but a hot brunette.

Remove ads