• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Capes] Random Character Generation System

Psyga315

Explorer
So, I decided to make a random character generation for a superhero storytelling RPG (In this case, Capes) in inspiration from Marvel Heroic Roleplaying's own random character generation system. That and because it'd be easy for me and possibly other fans of Capes to use for reference. Capes is pretty simple with its lite rules and the way you can create a character: a customary Click and Lock system that combines two different sets (Powers or Skills + Personality) into one. And thus, the random character generation system might also be simple. I thought it up this morning and had it bubble a bit before putting it down, so let's see how good this gets... If you don't have any idea what Capes is, here's a link for the basic summary of the game. The Click and Lock system used is only from the game and thus no homebrews are involved... Unless you count the generation system, then... yeah.

Here's the step by step process:
  • First, we must determine if the character is superpowered or mundane. Flip a coin (or if you prefer, roll either a D6 or a D100). The first half (Heads, 1-3, 1-50) results in using the Powers part of the Click & Lock, while the last half (Tails, 4-6, 51-100) results in using the Skills part. If you have already decided which part you wish to use, then you can skip this.
  • Next, we must determine what powers, skills, and personality your character has. Take a D100 and roll it. You need to roll it twice (or roll a 2d100) to determine which Click & Lock sets you need to use. Roll the dice, then look at your results on the table below.

PowersSkillsPersonality
1-5GadgeteerHomelessIngenue
6-11MagicianHigh-Tech MookHotshot
12-17Martial ArtistPetty CrookAngsty Nice Guy
18-23GodlingKung Fu FighterSpunky Kid
24-29HunterC.E.O.Guilt-Ridden
30-35ShapeshifterJournalistSycophant
36-41SpeedsterPoliticianNeurotic
42-47RobotLawyerSimple Soul
48-53BrickGeneralEx-Victim
54-59
TeleporterScientistInhuman
60-65
Animal AvatarPoliceOlder but Wiser
66-71
MimicBartenderCharmer
72-77
Master of Natural ForceDetectiveCrusader
78-83
ShootistGrease MonkeyPuppet Master
84-89
Mind ReaderSpookCurmudgeon
90-95
Roll AgainDock HandSeducer
96-100
Roll AgainMookPsychotic Loner
  • Once you're done that, you now must remove three traits from your Clicked and Locked sheet. Your sheet will have three columns (The leftmost side being your powers/skills, the center is a mix of powers/skills and personality and is more or less a "what would your character do", and the rightmost is your personality) with five traits in each. Roll a D6. The resulting number will be what you will remove. One being the top, and going down with five at the bottom. Do this for all three columns. If in the event you roll a 6, skip that column and focus on the next column. Roll 2D6 at this time and repeat the process. If you roll 6 again, then roll 2D6 for the last column. If you rolled 6 on both your dice, then roll 3D6 on the last column. If you rolled any sixes on the last column, reroll on the first column. Same holds true if you had multiple sixes on the last column. If you rolled a trait that has been crossed out, roll again. Repeat until three traits are crossed out.
  • Once you're done, number the traits however you want, give your new character a name, and you're done. Congratulations, your character is created. I hope this was simple to do... I think it could be pretty confusing. If anyone wishes for an example to be done, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Psyga315

Explorer
Sorry if it's been over a month since I posted this, but I decided to do an example, just to see if I ironed it out.

So, let's begin.

First off, is my character gonna be mundane or superpowered? (Roll... 6)

My character is mundane. What skills and personality will he have? (Roll... 60 and 2)

My character is a ingenue police officer. What's the first skill I have to cross out? (Roll... 3)

I crossed out Shoot. What do I have to cross out in the next column? (Roll... 2)

Crossed out Miss the subtext. Last column? (Roll... 6)

So I have to roll again, but I can only roll one dice to cross out the final trait. Back to the first column. (Roll... 6)

Now the second column. (Roll... 2)

Miss the subtext is already crossed out. Third column. (Roll... 3)

Finally, we crossed out the last one. Trusting. Now we can number the stats and voila! A randomly generated character. And as it turned out, I didn't had everything as good as I thought them to be, but hey, we all make mistakes, and I've fixed mine.

Remove ads