• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Case Studies in Intellectual Property: Dick Tracy

Kaodi

Hero
At this point Dick Tracy is more like a Challenge IP than a Money Printing IP: You do it because you want to see if you can make it work, not because you are convinced it will work.
We might be in like the worst possible time for a Dick Tracy movie. Which is why it is somewhat unfortunate no one else can even try.

Snarf's Indisputable Power Rankings of Madonna Movies

Tier 1 Madonna? Not so bad!
1. Desperately Seeking Susan
2. Evita
3. Vision Quest
4. A League of the Their Own

Tier 2 Dick Movies
5. Dangerous Game
6. Dick Tracy
7. Body of Evidence
8. A Certain Sacrifice

Tier 3 Wait, Madonna is in That?
9. Die Another Day
10. Blue in the Face
11. Girl 6
12. Four Rooms
13. Arthur and the Invisibles
14. Shadows and Fog

Tier 4 Please Make it Stop ... I'll Gouge My Eyes Out
15. Bloodhounds of Broadway
16. Shanghai Surprise
17. Swept Away
18. The Next Best Thing
Four Rooms should be much higher in that list, unless you’re just ranking room 1. Still, there was ample entertainment in that one.

Davies

Legend
Snarf's Indisputable Power Rankings of Madonna Movies

Tier 1 Madonna? Not so bad!
1. Desperately Seeking Susan
2. Evita
3. Vision Quest
4. A League of the Their Own

Tier 2 Dick Movies
5. Dangerous Game
6. Dick Tracy
7. Body of Evidence
8. A Certain Sacrifice

Tier 3 Wait, Madonna is in That?
9. Die Another Day
10. Blue in the Face
11. Girl 6
12. Four Rooms
13. Arthur and the Invisibles
14. Shadows and Fog

Tier 4 Please Make it Stop ... I'll Gouge My Eyes Out
15. Bloodhounds of Broadway
16. Shanghai Surprise
17. Swept Away
18. The Next Best Thing
... where's "Who's That Girl?"?

Dick Tracy hasn't had the TLC and developed the cultural cache that Batman, Spider-Man, and Bond (I'd also add the even older Sherlock Holmes to that list) have.
He belongs in the same club as Bulldog Drummond and Dick Barton - big in their day, but that day has passed. whereas Batman and Holmes have run pretty much continuously since their creation. Spiderman only dates to 1962, so he is nothing like so vintage, but he has run continuously since then too.

If you want to do something in that style, you might as well create a new character, like the Rocketeer or Indiana Jones, rather than pay for a licence.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Nobody was dying to see an adaptation of the Guardians of the Galaxy, either, but the movies have totaled like $1.5 billion gross ticket sales.
Guardians of the Galaxy was effectively a brand new property for everyone except for comic book readers though. It also was a relatively recent property as far as those things go - the modern Guardians of the Galaxy was an in-name-only reboot in 2006 that was updated then to be relevant to contemporary audiences so that by the time the film came out in 2014 it was a property that was less than a decade old. Yes the characters in it date back over the span of Marvel history, but the comics have tried to perpetually update those characters such that the versions in the 2008 relaunch of the Guardians comic book were essentially barely like their originals - much like how Batman in 2005's Batman Begins was barely like the Batman of the Adam West TV show. Different versions as tastes changed over the decades.

Dick Tracy is like the exact opposite of that.

Ryujin

Legend
They did try "Doc Savage" in 1975, Starring Ron Ely. It went over about as well as the recent "John Carter" movie did. And I've got some bad news for people...

Remove ads