Cast the Compainions of the Lance

Wippit Guud

First Post
So, if you were making the movie, who would you cast? Just a character reminder:

Tanis -
Laurana -
Raistlin -
Caramon -
Flint -
Tasslehoff -
Tika -
Sturm -
Elistan -
Goldmoon -
Riverwind -
Gilthanis -
Fizban -

and to cover the notable bad guys

Verminaard -
Kitiara -
Ariakas -
Soth -

Last edited:

Be warned... I'm probably going to cast some of the parts a bit older than they're portrayed in the novel. I prefer my fantasy heroes in their upper-twenties to low forties, when possible, rather than low-teens to early-twenties.

Tanis - Kenneth Branagh (or if he's too old by the time they do it, Ewan McGregor in full Obi-Wan beard)
Laurana - If I say "Who cares, any blonde could get by?" will people throw a fit? Boring character anyway... :D
Raistlin - That's always the toughest; if he wasn't bordering on too old, I'd say Jason Isaacs. Heck, with the right makeup, he can still do it. He practically looked like Raistlin without the gold skin as Lucius Malfoy, anyway. Or maybe Alan Cumming could do it.
Caramon - I'm tempted to say Patrick Warburton, just to watch people scream, but honestly, I'm not sure.
Flint - ????
Tasslehoff - ????
Tika - People are gonna think I'm crazy on this one, but Jorja Fox (Sarah Sidle on CSI)
Sturm - ????
Elistan - ????
Goldmoon - Famke Jansen, if they could make her work as a blonde.
Riverwind - Lou Diamond Phillips

Verminaard - ????
Kitiara - Mariska Hargitay (the female lead detective from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit)
Ariakas - ????
Soth - Did anybody reading the series not hear James Earl Jones/Darth Vader when reading this part? And hey, it's not like he'd have to actually be in the armor... :D

For the record, I haven't read the series in years, and haven't been a big fan since I was a teenager, so time could be coloring my perceptions here. If I think of anyone else, I'll add 'em later.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Tanis - Matt Damon
Raistlin - Sam Neill, if they could make him look the part with enough makup
Caramon - Russel Crow
Flint - The guy who plays Gimli, of course :)
Sturm - Sean Bean

Kitiara - Carrie-Anne Moss
Soth - CGI + James Earl Jones :D

Wippit Guud

First Post
Who I've picked thus far:

Tanis - Ed Norton. Right attitude, right build.
Laurana - Oh, probably Kirsten Dunst, if she can tap into the spoiled brat attitude from Interview with a Vampire
Tasslehoff - Kieran Culkin - Blows his brother out of the water in acting.
Tika - Dina Meyer, the redhead from Starship Troopers
Gilthanis - Tobey MacGuire would fit the bill.
Kitiara - Angelina Jolie

Honorable Mention
Theros Ironfeld - Michael Clark Duncan

Wombat

First Post
My first reaction would be...

Who?

Is this something from Dragonlance? Forgotten Realms?

I mean, ask my about Patrick O'Brian and I'll give you a cast of characters :D

Gothmog

First Post
Ok, as I consider Dragonlance a joke, I'll make a funny cast.

Tanis- Jeff Bridges- the Lebowski look
Laurana - some vacuous hermaphrodite supermodel
Raistlin - Carrot Top- he looks odd enough
Caramon - Triple H
Flint - a CGI'd down Robin Williams with a beard- he'd be hilarious
Tasslehoff - McCauly Culkin- he could do the scream too
Tika - any redheaded stepchild
Sturm - Al Snow- looks a lot like him
Elistan - who?
Goldmoon - Pamela Anderson- those glassy eyes scream "cleric!"
Riverwind - Tommy Chong- "Dave's not here, man!"
Gilthanis - Chris Jericho- he can do a wonderful whine and has pretty hair
Fizban - Andy Griffith

:D

The Little Raven

First Post
Tanis - Eric Stolze (Grow out the hair and beard, give him some muscle and you've got a half-elf ranger.)
Laurana - Nicole Kidman (Give her long blonde ringlets... mmm)
Raistlin - Johnny Depp (He's dark... brooding... bitter...)
Caramon - Colin Farrell (He's believable in a fight... he's about the same size as Depp, and he looks more friendly)
Flint - Robbie Coltrane (Hey, they shrunk down John Rhys-Davies... why not Hagrid?)
Tasslehoff - Kieran Culkin (Give him a topknot, a hoopak, and a dwarf to pester)
Tika - Dina Meyer (Gotta agree there.)
Sturm - Gabriel Byrne (He looks a bit older than some of the others... but Sturm was a man gray before his time)
Goldmoon - Shakira (Appearance-wise... she's blonde, with an exotic look to her... but can she act?)
Riverwind - The Rock (Or Affleck. Heh.)
Gilthanis - Jonathon Rhys-Meyers (Arrogant Brit makes good arrogant elf.)
Fizban - Frank Oz (Come on... he's Yoda!)
Verminaard - Gary Oldman (Eeeee-vil.)
Kitiara - Monica Bellucci (Mmmmmmmm.)
Ariakas - Patrick Stewart ('Nuff said.)
Soth - Tim Roth (As the voice and motion capture actor... Soth would have to be CG'd in... as least parts of him.)

Klaus

First Post
Tanis - Ewan McGregor, in full Obi-Wan beard and hair.
Laurana - Estella Warren (Planet of the Apes)
Raistlin - James Marsters (Spike in Buffy, Margaret Weis' first choice)
Caramon - James Marsters (hey, they're twins! Just have him diet for Raist)
Flint - Anthony Hokins
Tasslehoff - Kieran Culkin
Tika - Dina Meyer
Sturm - Alexis Denisof (Wesley in Angel)
Elistan - Kris Kistofferson (Whistler in Blade)
Goldmoon - Shannyn Sossamon dyed blonde
Riverwind - Lou Diamon Phillips
Gilthanis - Matt Damon
Fizban - Peter O'Toole

Mordane76

First Post
Tanis - I keep thinking, having seen many of his roles, Kevin Spacey could fill this role easily. He would have have to bulk up a bit, but he has a gift for role assumption, and I think he'd do fine.

Laurana - I don't know why, but Lisa Kudrow pops up when I think of Laurana. It would take a little make-up, and the role would be a little more dramatic than her normal fare... but I think she could pull it off. Beyond that, maybe Gwenyth Paltrow.

Raistlin - I'm gonna have to side with Mouseferatu on this one. The gentleman who played the elder Malfoy in the second Harry Potter was excellent, but maybe just a little too... built for Raistlin. Barring him, I would say maybe the actor who played Sauramon the White, or maybe Jeremy Irons.

Caramon - I keep wanting to say Vin Diesel, but I don't think that would be good. I think a wrestler might be in order here, like Hunter Helmsly (Triple H); it would have to be a traditional good guy (for crowd appeal), someone with obvious body-building experience, and someone with at least passable acting skills -- Triple H from the WWE would do fine, I think.

Flint - the guy who played Gimli. He's the first one I think of when I think of Flint.

Tasslehoff - Ugh... someone younger, endearing, and irritating at the same time, but with enough smarts to be obviously a mix between man and boy. Also needs to be in good shape... This is a tough role to cast. One of the actors of the other two major Hobbits (not Frodo or Samwise) would probably fill this role nicely.

Tika - A mix of vulnerability with room to grow into a competent combatant. A little bit sexy, but not weak or submissive... I vote Alyssa Milano.

Sturm - Big... mustache... stubborn... the guy who played King Arthur in Excalibur! He'd be perfect!

Elistan - I think Patrick Stewart would fill this role nicely.

Goldmoon - I'm seeing Julia Stiles here. She's played a few dramatic roles, she's got some athletic roles under her belt, and I think she'd do well in this role. She'd need a tan, though.

Riverwind - We need another massive man for this role... but he needs to be less likable than Caramon. Some color wouldn't hurt, either -- maybe Raven from the WWE? He might not be large enough, though.

Gilthanis - Orlando Bloom... sorry... you've been type-cast, Orlando... :)

Fizban - GANDALF!!!

Verminaard - Here... I think Colm Feore would be excellent; he played Andre Lingoe in Storm of the Century.

Kitiara - Rose McGowan, hands down.

Ariakas - I'm thinking Colin Farrell.

Soth - I'm sorry... I don't think James Earl Jones is the right fit for this. I honestly think Liam Nesson would fill this role well.

Remove ads