• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle & Crusades - who has tried it stuck with it?

Mechnomancer

First Post
I just started playing and i jumped at the Bard class when i read a review and it said the the bard was more of a warior skald. So far so great, better HD and weaponry, but later on i get the abilities of a bard, not a skald. fascinate for one just doesn't fit my perception of the character. Not warrior enough, too bardish. Oh, and no multi-classing? And that 18 is a bitch to make at low levels. But i am loving it. I'm just not sure if it's the system. I even bought the book and might see it one day if Amazon ever sends me the right item.

Greylock

First Post
I found the Bard easy and fun to play, and yeah, I played him as a Skald, too. What was hard was making the other players understand that he wasn't a 3.5 Bard. That he had better things to do in battle than stand around and strum a lute.

S'mon

Legend
Mechnomancer said:
I just started playing and i jumped at the Bard class when i read a review and it said the the bard was more of a warior skald. So far so great, better HD and weaponry, but later on i get the abilities of a bard, not a skald. fascinate for one just doesn't fit my perception of the character. Not warrior enough, too bardish. Oh, and no multi-classing? And that 18 is a bitch to make at low levels. But i am loving it. I'm just not sure if it's the system. I even bought the book and might see it one day if Amazon ever sends me the right item.

I agree the Bard class is a bit of a mish-mash - the Bard in my PBEM campaign is a minstrel/entertainer type, she has the same hit points as the party Fighter - and with faster level advancement could well have more! I can see a Skald using 'fascinate' to entrance a monster, say. C&C Bards do get battle-boosting powers at high level, but the class needs tweaking if you want a pure battle-bard. Maybe an ability to inspire Barbarian type rage?

Re multi-classing; 1e style multi-classing is easy to implement, let the PC multiclass in whatever stats they have Primes in. I agree the '18' Challenge Base is too high & I've lowered it to '15', +6 for Primes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads